Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dumped my fatbob...broken thumb...

Old 09-29-2011, 03:28 AM
Spiro Drummer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy dumped my fatbob...broken thumb...

Going less than 20mph(10 minutes from my house) around a "round-about" to the left the bike 'slips' out from under me. It pulled me to the left but catapults me up into an almost cartwheel where my head (in a full-face shoei) hits the center median(about 3ft high embankment with a marble edging). My thumb(armoured glove) slammed into the median in sort of a thumbs down position causing a double fracture of the bone below the knuckle.. The right forearm of the jacket(armoured) got trashed from the marble but the arm is good.
Our streets here are slicker than snot even when they're dry cause they use some marble in the asphault... also, dry pine needles will make for ice-rink-like conditions...
Bike got away with minor scratches to primary cover, clutch lever, a small ding to the tank. Somehow the backrest pad took the brunt of it and is trashed..
Moral of the story: I was pretty freakin' lucky...oh...and wear your protective gear..

Of course this happened just before a very busy month of touring..I'll be drumming with my thumb in a splint in Germany, U.K., U.S., Canada, Cyprus... I'll be the one in the back with the HUGE bottle of Tylenol next to him!!!!!! hahahaaaaa!!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 AM
darkcvc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe that is why they named it GREECE, ha, ha. Anyway glad your ok.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. Glad you weren't hurt too bad. Seems like it would be hard to play drums with a broken thumb. Good luck

Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Boomer8484
Advanced

Glad to know you are OK, aside from a little worse for wear. Get well soon.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Spiro, that's a bummer. The roads sound treacherous over there...aside from your "trauma", what happened to the bike? Maybe you need different tires. Heal up quick!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Spiro Drummer
Tourer

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
Spiro, that's a bummer. The roads sound treacherous over there...aside from your "trauma", what happened to the bike? Maybe you need different tires. Heal up quick!
Even though my Dunlops are new (less than 6k) I've been thinkin of trying out something else... pirelli??

Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 PM
River_123
Advanced

Wow! Sounds like a pretty crazy low speed crash. Glad you are OK. Have fun doing up your pants with only one good thumb! lol! (I just might be speaking from experience there...)

Old 09-30-2011, 07:04 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you came through it pretty good, all things considered.

Hey, are you in a band that has some material on the web? If so, I'd like a link to see you and the band performing.

I've had mine drop out of my hands while slowing maneuvering on the gravel road I live on. Learned NOT to grab the front brake while on the limestone hardened, pebble covered surface. I took a full roll over the dropped side handlebars. Must have looked like a circus clown rolling in the dirt and popping back up on my feet. I never noticed how heavy the bike was at that moment I had so much adrenaline pumping somehow I just stood it back up.

Had to go back and find my shades (sunglasses) which were still in the road in the gravel. I bruised my shoulder, dirtied up my leather and scuffed up my gloves. The bike had a minor scrape to the corning of the fairing (could have been worse!!), and of course scuffed the highway bars and busted a highway bar peg.

Did that the first week I brought her home ... Ugh!

BTW Many of our roads are now covered with black walnuts. They are in green husks about the size of a hardball. The covering gets smeared across the lanes and is like grease on the road. Every road seems to have something that will get you if your not careful!

Last edited by JohnnyC; 09-30-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 AM
crazy ray
Advanced

SPIRO, This is the start to your aches and pains when you turn 50. I been there many times. Remember these are all good stories and memories when your up in age. Take care my friend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dumped my fatbob...broken thumb...