Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

streetbob trees to fat bob trees

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 AM
gordo68
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default streetbob trees to fat bob trees

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has replaced their 2010 streetbob triple trees with fatbob triple trees?. what's involved and can it be done. I am thinking of changing my bars to 12 or 14 apes, and though that changing the trees would give me a wider choice of bars. Is the rake or trial changed if so how much? also I am keeping the standard front wheel. If anyone has done this could you please post a pic so I can see what it looks like before handing over heaps of coin. Thanks Gordo

Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM
06redneck
Cruiser

i converted over to wide glide trees with the 49mm fork tubes, i switched to a 21" though, it gives you alittle more rake and the bike handles extremely better.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM
06redneck
Cruiser

look at my homepage and youll see my bike

Old 10-07-2011, 08:48 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its a straight swap on the trees but to keep the old wheel you need spacers and the fender will be too narrow.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no rake in the fatbob trees, but there is in the wide glide. You going to need a few things to complete the change over. There is plenty of post on here if you use the search function, i did just this a few days go...

If you want to keep your street bob sliders and tubes you will need to...
Space your rotor and/or brake caliper, and wheels. If you want to go with fatbob lowers your going to need the entire front end assembly, as it has dual discs and different calipers and possible a new master cylinder. Hope this helps in your search

Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shimmon
There is no rake in the fatbob trees, but there is in the wide glide. You going to need a few things to complete the change over. There is plenty of post on here if you use the search function, i did just this a few days go...

If you want to keep your street bob sliders and tubes you will need to...
Space your rotor and/or brake caliper, and wheels. If you want to go with fatbob lowers your going to need the entire front end assembly, as it has dual discs and different calipers and possible a new master cylinder. Hope this helps in your search
Using FB lowers ins't that big of a deal, there was an aritcal in Hot Bike a while ago - the standard 10 wheel is already set up to accept a second disc, you only need one caliper and disc, the ones you already have are the same, the lowers will go on the stock fork tubes and the fender will need modification - and yes, you do need a new master cylinder, I used a touring one for mine.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Big Kev-O
Advanced
Default Just did it

I did not change any of my brake components, don't know why you would have to change your master cylinder. I just swaped trees and used wide glide wheel and axle. As sombody stated above you can remove one disc from a dual disc wide glide hub and place a cover on.

I just installed Todd's 12" Strip Apes and switched from stock trees to Fatbob trees on my 06 Streetbob so I can run 150\16 white walls on the front and rear. As stated above your stock front wheel will not work unless you find a spacer for your brake disc and axles. There are some posts on here that list the dimensions for the spacers. I do not like the way the spacers look with the stock hub so I switched to a wide glide hub. The stock lower sliders will work perfect with a single disc wide glide hub and axle. I purchased a wide glide wheel from Black Bike and a wide glide axle online. The stock HD wide glide axle uses a 20mm and a 26mm axle spacer but for some reason the Black Bike wheel was 6mm off center with stock wide glide spacers SO I switched to two 7/8 inch spacers and problem solved. Had I used a OE Harley wide glide hub it would have worked fine with H.D. axle spacers.

I switched from a narrow 21" tire to a fat 150/16" and it handles rough roads much better. It feels harder to lean over. Looks mean as hell, picture coming soon.

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 10-19-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Kev_England
Tourer

This may sound like a dumb question, but doesnt the bike lean a little forward if you put a 16" wheel on the front? Or are Fat Bob lowers longer?
Guessing you might need to lower the back end?
Cheers.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kev_england
this may sound like a dumb question, but doesnt the bike lean a little forward if you put a 16" wheel on the front? Or are fat bob lowers longer?
Guessing you might need to lower the back end?
Cheers.
not really, when going with a 16" rim your going to be running a fatter (high profile) tire, instead of a 21" with a low profile tire.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Big Kev-O
Advanced

When I place the 21" with Avon MH90 next to the 16" with 150 Metzler the axle is only about 3/4" lower. Works out nice with rear lowering shocks. I changed the rear to a 16" also because there are no 17" white walls.

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 10-19-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: streetbob trees to fat bob trees