Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:57 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Went out for 500kms today after shaving the mount and the results are pretty good, mirrors are very usable in 5th gear

Like doing the shim this also helps

Old 12-19-2015, 07:32 AM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Hell, I love the vibration (at red lights). The, "best" bike I ever owned was an FJR, but I sold it in just over a year of ownership due to excessive boredom. A little chaos is a good thing!

Old 12-19-2015, 01:58 PM
newdyna
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had about 8-10 harleys and a buell with the 1200 over the years. I was ok with the honda vtx, but thought, maybe another HD, so I found this 08 dyna. Vibrated my feet off the pegs. Not good for an old guy with bad foot nerves, so I installed the HD foot board kit. Much more gooderer. So, as I posted elsewhere, I was feeling a lot of vibes from my suspension....mostly from the front. So, I have changed front fork oil to thinner. What I removed (factory) was about 15wt. Put in 10wt with a bit of 7wt added to thin that. Much better again. I now am happy with the feet, and the front end. Over the really rough back roads, the rear springs can be felt a bit too stiff...banging over the bumps. I may try better rear shocks. But, my bike has a great motor, and after all, this is what the harley is all about, the motor. Lots of vibes at idle and low speeds. At about 3 grand...no tach, but in 5th at about 60mph, this beast smooths out and just pulls like a freight train, as it should. Vibes are at lower revs, which is most of the time for me. BUT, with the new boards, my feet are good, and I am good. I have looked at the mounts, which have not lost their cool yet at 10k miles. Look at the lower gap....the new ones are about 1/8 inch, bad ones are over 1/2 inch.....I think OK is in the 3/8 inch range...not cracked and stretched. So, I will continue to push this beast down the back roads like a mad man, and enjoy the soft and smooth main roads for now.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by nick@nite
did you do it yourself? or dealer
Did it myself. My scoot was way out of warranty, and dealers seem to be largely oblivious to common problems and fixes on our motorscooters. Their first line of action seems to be denying that there is a problem. At least when a bike is still under warranty.

Things can get different when there is the potential to make money off it.
I put a couple of bikes in winter storage at a local dealer about a week ago. Yesterday, I get a call from someone in service, mentioning that several oil leaks were found upon inspection (one or more on each bike), and offering to fix these for around 800 bucks. I've never noticed or had a problem with any oil leaks, and neither bike has ever dropped one single drop of oil on the floor.
Geez, Harley, start to get a clue. Not all of your customers are idiots!

Getting back to the common and well-known front motor mount problem:
Another thing that can be done to increase this clearance is to loosen the front engine mounting bolts, jack the engine up, and re-tighten the the engine mounting bolts.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 12-19-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Z
Harleys vibrate.
But how much is normal?

Old 12-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
But how much is normal?
About that much, any more and you may have a problem.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

Having owned about a dozen Harleys, I know when it's not normal. I suspect a bad main bearing. Took it to the dealer and dropped it off. We'll see.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:52 PM
HDkazHD
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Motor mount still the same?

It’s 2021 now, is anyone still shimming and/or shaving their front motor mounts?

is the current motor mount still the same as before?

Old 06-06-2021, 11:50 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HDkazHD
It’s 2021 now, is anyone still shimming and/or shaving their front motor mounts?

is the current motor mount still the same as before?
Nope. Sold the Harley and bought a Moto Guzzi Calif 1400. Zero engine feel due to elastic mount.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:31 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 796 Likes on 574 Posts

Since the front mount is on an angle, as it collapses it pushes the engine towards the back. shimming the front mount just compensates for the fact that the whole thing needs to come back forward. Replacing both mounts is the only way to correct it. Consider an improved, aftermarket front mount. I'm using the Predator myself, but there are others.

Quick Reply: Dyna Vibration Problem