Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed: Handle bar wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed: Handle bar wiring question

So I am on my phone and cant use the search function.

Got my bike all jacked up and am switching the bars. I am putting new sigs on so I cut those wires.

I have a service manual but have not found where it addresses this: Do I just cut the wiring and resplice on the new bars set up or do I track back to the battery and disconnect the wires there and pull the harness up and through the bars. Or am I just missing something else completely???

Any help appreciated.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Stag556
Road Master

What year? I just did this to my 2012 Street Bob and had one heck of a time with the turn signals. There are a lot of variables. If you have more details, that would help. Pics work best.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

2009. This is the complete wiring harness ran internally. Talking about all of the connections in the control housings.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure why you cut the wires ... not sure about your Street Bob, but my '05 FXDI Super Glide there's a 6-pin AMP plug that you would just unplug ... pull the wiring from the handlebars and then re-route it to where you're moving the sigs ....

But, if you cut the wires, I suppose at this point you'll just need to splice and run the turn sig wires to your new setup ....

R/
'Chop

Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
or do I track back to the battery and disconnect the wires there
there should be no need to track back to the battery, all the wires should plug into the harness in the backbone, under the front of the tank there

Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Stag556
Road Master

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Not sure why you cut the wires ... not sure about your Street Bob, but my '05 FXDI Super Glide there's a 6-pin AMP plug that you would just unplug ... pull the wiring from the handlebars and then re-route it to where you're moving the sigs ....

But, if you cut the wires, I suppose at this point you'll just need to splice and run the turn sig wires to your new setup ....

R/
'Chop
The way the 2012's are wired, you have to cut the wires to the turn signals to relocate them. Its the biggest PITA but thats what HD instructions call for.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he is saying he knows what to do with the turn sigs, but is wondering what to do with the control wiring.

I prefer to cut them at the control housing and pull through the new bars. If you are not in a hurry, you can pick up a full color coded wiring harness to pull through your new bars and just splice, solder, and shrinkwrap the wires at each end. Did this to mine and also to my brothers in 05 and he has had no issues since. I think the solder joints are actually stronger than the pins at the connectors if done correctly and shrink wrapped properly.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

There is no need to cut anything, just disassemble the connectors that are in the backbone under the tank.
Once you disassemble, you pull the wires out of the bars, easy to do, everything is up front.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
There is no need to cut anything, just disassemble the connectors that are in the backbone under the tank.
Once you disassemble, you pull the wires out of the bars, easy to do, everything is up front.

Awesome. Knew I was missing something. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Just looking for this this morning. Do I have to lift the tank up to access the connectors?

Quick Reply: Help needed: Handle bar wiring question