Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner or not...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
mjrobinson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner or not...

Running slip ons with stage one and HD Remap on 2007 FXDB. Going to full system. Anyone run Full System without a tuner? How's it run?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
hellbob37
Road Master

Can almost promise you no one with a full system and an a/c is running without some sort of tuner.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM
jamman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hellbob37
Can almost promise you no one with a full system and an a/c is running without some sort of tuner.
he said he had a stage one remap..

Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
yso191
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjrobinson
Running slip ons with stage one and HD Remap on 2007 FXDB. Going to full system. Anyone run Full System without a tuner? How's it run?
What do you mean by "Full System?"

Steve

Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 PM
mjrobinson
Cruiser

Full system as in headers and muffler. A 2:1 actually. I had stock head pipes and slip ons before. Yes, I had remap done when I got stage 1 installed. I think that may be enough. No mods to engine itself, all stock.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
yso191
Club Member

Full system as in headers and muffler. A 2:1 actually. I had stock head pipes and slip ons before. Yes, I had remap done when I got stage 1 installed. I think that may be enough. No mods to engine itself, all stock.
Ah. Your download will protect your motor from going too lean with the exhaust you are looking at. It is however the worst of your options, IMHO. There are several good tuners that I'd recommend, but I went with the TTS Mastertune. The best thing you can do is get your bike dyno-tuned after the pipe swap, just be sure you do your research on a good dyno operator before you do, as there are WAY too many awful ones. I don't know if they just don't care or don't get the process, but it is stunning to me how incompetent most dyno operators are.

Steve

Last edited by yso191; 01-03-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 PM
mjrobinson
Cruiser

Thanks, I am resistant to ask the dealer . All they will say is that I need to get their SERT. I understand that the remap is not the best option. Just want to know that it will run ok at least until I can decide on a tuner.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

We have O2 sensors on the bikes now to automatically adjust the a/f mixture to the stock AFR otherwise what good are they?? You will be fine without a tuner and the bike will just adjust itself to the stock a/f ratio. Now on old carb'd bikes if you didn't re-jet the bike you would run lean and screw up your motor, but with today's technology you don't have to worry about that till you start modding the motor internals. Tuner will maximize performance of the add ons and tuners trick the bikes computer and running what is programmed (dyno or map), which includes changing the AFR (hence running cooler vs. the stock emissions lean setting), and some other things. Most tuners get rid of the O2 sensors unless you have the auto tune which makes the bike adjust more efficiently to what your tuner is set for.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 PM
mjrobinson
Cruiser

Thats what I was thinking JaronB. Actually was told that the remap was a waste of money due to closed loop FI.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats what I was thinking JaronB. Actually was told that the remap was a waste of money due to closed loop FI.
The remap is not a waste of time, it does modify the VE and timing for a specific combination of HD parts and will work for similar aftermarket parts.

However that being said, the download is designed to keep your bike within emission standards. A tuner will allow you to get more performance by increaseing fuel usage at the expense of milage and emission standards.

Quick Reply: Tuner or not...