Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Pegs

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 PM
FISM
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passenger Pegs

I am having trouble removing the stock pegs off of my 11 FXDWG. I punched out a torx socket and used a long wrench to avoid taking off the rear fender, but I cant even budge them. I want them off, because I have already had two people that wanted rides(one was hot....one was not). I just dont like riders, it cramps my style, and I like to ride hard and fast. I did this on my sportster, and I always had the excuse that I dont have room. If anyone has any tips on the removal of the pegs without major removal of parts and nicks in the paint SUPER!

Look for all of you that drag your wives and girlfriends around thats friggin great, but I ride solo. I dont like passengers, especially when they cant lean or I have to drive a drunken friend home because he cant handle his booze. Here's 20 take a cab brotha! Bottom line, even if Jessica Alba was naked she would have to sit on my crotch to get back to my place.

Last edited by FISM; 02-12-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:43 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I assume your talking about pulling the whole mount, not just the peg. Mines an fxd, it was tight but I removed the bracket using a low profile "L" shaped torx without having to jack the bike, loosen the wheel adjuster and slide the rear tire back as per instructions. Make sure the torx tool is inserted and pushed down tight and torque away on that sucker. Its going to be difficult, if not impossible using a torx bit and wrench as there is no way to apply downward pressure while turning fastener.

bummer your not into reach arounds Lol

I also assume your talk'n about a FXDWG not a FXWDG ;o)

Last edited by ynots; 02-11-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you get the rear wheel off the ground you will have a little more room to work, if you still need more room take the shocks off and let the swingarm drop. Did you get a the belt guard bracket?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 AM
FISM
Cruiser

Reach arounds...nice!

Yes there is a chrome belt guard cover so I was thinking of taking that off which wasn't a big deal. Dropping the wheel and all that is out. Pisses me off that they are so tight I want to whip out my cordless chop saw and hack that $ucker off just for spite, but that would probably lead to further frustration.
Any ideas on the right angle torx wrench....where did you find that? Looks like a Sunday tool search tomorrow(sears, auto zone, lowes). PS I dont have a lift.

Thanks for the spell check, corrected and dislexic. No actually its a new bike from HD...(laughs)
I had also thought about taking a soldering iron on top of the bolt head to heat it to help break the lock tite. Its a gun so it gets hotter much quicker, but I just dont want to flake the powdercoat.
Ok The soldering iron did a nice job, the bolts finally broke loose, but AH HA! Now I know what you meant by the bracket. OMFG really....now I have to buy something just to take something off. Lovely. Thanks again for the info. Looks like I will be running around with one on till I get the bracket that attaches to the belt guard. No wonder this company went from bankruptcy to a top seller, no matter what you change whether its on or off you need to buy ****!

Last edited by FISM; 02-12-2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: tried it - worked
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts

why not just leave the rear pegs on and remove the back half of the seat
or go with a straight up solo seat? then your excuse can be " i have no seat"

Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to hear you got the bracket off, good idea on the soldering iron!
A lot of dynas dont come with peg mounts, just a mount for the belt guard. Im sure someone has one laying around that they willing to part with, I threw mine away.

I got my right angle torx from a tool supply. I asked If I could go outside to see if it would fit then busted it loose and took it back in and bought a short torx bit that I could turn with a wrench. Im a cheap bastard... Lol

Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 AM
FISM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ynots
Glad to hear you got the bracket off, good idea on the soldering iron!
A lot of dynas dont come with peg mounts, just a mount for the belt guard. Im sure someone has one laying around that they willing to part with, I threw mine away.

I got my right angle torx from a tool supply. I asked If I could go outside to see if it would fit then busted it loose and took it back in and bought a short torx bit that I could turn with a wrench. Im a cheap bastard... Lol
Nice! Yeah I punched out the bit on a t45 torx socket, cut it in half(the bit) and used a (5mm?) wrench black taped with the bit and a pipe for leverage to get the bolts out. The front belt guard allen bolt was frozen on there. Even with heat it woulnt budge(lotso swearing) so I drilled the bold head off and chucked the friggin rear peg arms. If I put any back on I would like to find some aluminum ones powdercoated.

Yeah I spose I will post a thread asking if anyone has the bracket or where to get it. I could fab one an try to get my bud to powdercoat it, but that would require effort. lol
I like the clean look without the rear pegs, plus I think the bike dropped like pounds!

Looks like your running progressives, thats my next step.

Last edited by FISM; 02-13-2012 at 12:05 AM.