Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Plasti-Dip Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:07 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,752 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Overall thickness - multiple thin coats. Trying to accelerate the process by spraying fewer, thicker coats is an invitation for disaster.
Thank you. I just picked some up at Walmart for $5.82/can, and I got black and gray, with a can of Satin clear coat, so hopefully I will get to try it this weekend. However, my family is coming to visit on Sunday, and will be here for a couple weeks, since my Dad's 80th B-Day is the 17th, and my son is getting married on the 22nd, so I might not be able to get back with how it turned out for a while. I appreciate your help and input on this, though.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:02 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
Thank you. I just picked some up at Walmart for $5.82/can, and I got black and gray, with a can of Satin clear coat, so hopefully I will get to try it this weekend. However, my family is coming to visit on Sunday, and will be here for a couple weeks, since my Dad's 80th B-Day is the 17th, and my son is getting married on the 22nd, so I might not be able to get back with how it turned out for a while. I appreciate your help and input on this, though.
No problem. Good luck with your project. One last work of advice: do your research to determine the final color you seek to achieve and the proper order of application of multiple colors. Once again, I've had the benefit of my son's guidance for selection of colors - it's not as intuitive as when we learned to mix colors as kids. Mixing purple and yellow or blue and orange might make brown with watercolors; however, do the same with Plasti-dip and you may end up with green. I Plasti-dipped the sideview mirrors pink on all the family cars for breast cancer awareness month (October). It required several base coats of white followed by several overcoats of red until I got the proper shade of pink that I wanted. It really is a science. Enjoy.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:57 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by kcfocust
Just an FYI on the taping, when you apply a fresh layer of plastidip down, the base layers technically react to, making them like a wet coat again. So... lay down those heavy later coats and pull the tape. F150HD need to lay it on thick after first two light coats
may try again today. Just peeled of the failed coat (pic a few posts up), no idea what the white clouding was. Wonder if it was too humid here to spray.
Will try 2 light coats, then 2 heavy coats, maybe 3. Didn't think it'd take 3 attempts at this. I wonder if doing this in the Fall may yield better results (cooler out)

Old 07-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Roro4g63
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I just tried white over gunmetal gray. Too thick of a pass, it is very very light and runs easily. Just regrayed, and did matte blue.

Hard to see, but the white did not set, and it laid down cloudy/runny.

Try the blue til it gets old

This 1 is under the sheet

Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Quoting myself! Well, 3rd time, same outcome. still the white cloudy regions (spraying matte clear on the fairing). Unsure what is going on but, am not trying a 4th time. May try different product....or one that is 'unclear'. Really don't want a different color fairing but.....TBD

Originally Posted by F150HD
So I have these white cloudy patches....that aren't going away. Can someone enlighten me? I sprayed 4-5 coats and this time only waited 5-10 mins between coats so I could remove the tape (unlike last round)

It also has the orange-peel texture, is that normal? I'd prefer not to have that.....input appreciated.
-

Old 07-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Narddog
Tourer
Received 401 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm still thinking about spraying this stuff on my dash, since I get blinded by the chrome almost every day going home, and want to stop that, and if I can add more black to the bike at the same time
Just an FYI. A buddy and I plasti-dipped several chrome parts before the Red River rally this year. (risers, horn covers, air cleaner covers, etc.) The plasti dip works very well on parts that will not be getting messed with much. For instance, if I put my fork bag over my risers, the wind will move the bag enough that it will wear through the dip. The stuff looks good but it is still only a thin layer of rubber and so it is not terribly durable. My risers and horn cover still look like brand new. He accidentally dripped some gas while fueling up and a little got on his horn cover. When he took a rag and wiped it off, most of the plasti dip came off as well. If you are thinking of putting it up near the tank to calm down the glare, be very careful not to drip on it. If it is left alone, it should last forever though.

For those that have already done parts, like the pullback risers, would you also let me know how much it took to do those parts, and how many coats you put on?
I used one can to do 5 coats on quite a few parts. I still seem to have plenty left over.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (07-27-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Roro4g63
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Done. Decided blue, save rest of the gray for another time.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:54 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
No problem. Good luck with your project. One last work of advice: do your research to determine the final color you seek to achieve and the proper order of application of multiple colors. Once again, I've had the benefit of my son's guidance for selection of colors - it's not as intuitive as when we learned to mix colors as kids. Mixing purple and yellow or blue and orange might make brown with watercolors; however, do the same with Plasti-dip and you may end up with green. I Plasti-dipped the sideview mirrors pink on all the family cars for breast cancer awareness month (October). It required several base coats of white followed by several overcoats of red until I got the proper shade of pink that I wanted. It really is a science. Enjoy.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:35 AM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Well on my Gauntlet Fairing, I tried to strip the denim paint the previous owner put on it... Needless to say, it went from bad to disasterous. I sanded it down and sprayed it last night, I'll post up some pictures. The purpose is not so much to keep this look, but to look "OK" through this riding season and paint it over the winter break.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:13 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

One thing to note is plasti dip gets tougher over time. A 6 month old spray job is much stronger shell than a week old spray. 5 coats is a good amount. Makes removing it easier too. If you ever get gas or other solvent on it, just rinse with water....do not wipe it with anything. Let it dry. After a few days it’s easy to do a touch up coat on the area. My plasti dip has lasted years.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (07-27-2018)

Quick Reply: The Plasti-Dip Thread