Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need New pipes that are legal (The COPS say)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:18 PM
dynaride07
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New pipes that are legal (The COPS say)

Yes the Cops said I need new pipes that are street legal. Except they all look stupid, or at least the ones I looked at wich are basically only Screaming Eagle pipes wich are the only ones I can find that are legal.... I have Vance and Hines 2 into 2 big radius's now and I love them.. I looked at the Rineharts and other Vance and Hines but yup of course all illegal. Any body have any ideas for legal pipes for me... Other than stock.. I like short pipes but they have to go past my rear axle aswell to be legal..If I get caught again it has to be towed and I dont get it back till I make it legal.. Anyone with any ideas or sugestions for my 07 street bob?

Thanks Guys.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 847 Likes on 373 Posts

get a supertrapp has disks. you still have performance but can quiet it down as needed. great pipe. 2 into 1 set up

Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Your bike gets towed to an impound yard to which you will not have access to it to perform the corrective action. Right? So, then how do you satisfy the law if it gets impounded?

What does the law state in your area? Are they illegal due to noise?

Is it a length issue? Fight the good fight?

Put your stockers back on?

After looking at a photo of my bike in stock form it sounds like even the oem exhaust would be illegal

Notice the front exhaust. It ends before the rear axle.

What is the verbiage of the law in your area? Do both mufflers have to exceed the rear axle?

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 07-04-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

get a tuner to lower your idle, get some quiet baffles and get a cop to check the db's

Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

+2 on the Supertrapps. You can add a closed end cap and remove disks to really quieten it down to pass the noise test and then add them all back once your done!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM
roadhouse
Tourer

fight the fight! at least half the people on the road today are on there phones while driving there killing machines! not to sound like a sticker but "loud pipes save lives"!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Might look at rush products.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by dynaride07
Yes the Cops said I need new pipes that are street legal. Except they all look stupid, or at least the ones I looked at wich are basically only Screaming Eagle pipes wich are the only ones I can find that are legal.... I have Vance and Hines 2 into 2 big radius's now and I love them.. I looked at the Rineharts and other Vance and Hines but yup of course all illegal. Any body have any ideas for legal pipes for me... Other than stock.. I like short pipes but they have to go past my rear axle aswell to be legal..If I get caught again it has to be towed and I dont get it back till I make it legal.. Anyone with any ideas or sugestions for my 07 street bob?

Thanks Guys.
Where in Canada are you? what is the db's do they start ticketing at you at? Be careful the Screaming Eagles won't pass in Edmonton,AB mind you some stock exhaust won't pass here either. When they passed the Bylaw here they tested the harley cop bikes they had most failed

Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I have V&H Twin Slash Slip ons, they are a deeper sounding pipe. If I have to, I can get a Quieter baffle. (Not until they make me)

Edmonton bylaw is 92 db, Calgary is 96 db, the little town I live in is trying to bring in a 92 db bylaw.

I am looking for somewhere in Calgary that I can get my bike tested. I want it in writing in case I have to go to court to fight bogus charges.
I also want to find out how they are supposed to PROPERLY test the db level.

I have a cousin in B.C. that the cop put his tester 6" from his pipes. He fought the ticket and won because it was tested improperly.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer

Edmonton bylaw is:

The Edmonton Police Services will charge violators at three (3) benchmark noise levels:
1. Violators in excess of 92 db(A) at idle for all motorcycles; or
2. Violators in excess of 96 db(A) at 2000 rpm for motorcycles having less than 3 cylinders; or more than 4 cylinders; and/or
3. Violators in excess of 100 db(A) at 5000 rpm for motorcycles with 3 or 4 cylinders

Quick Reply: Need New pipes that are legal (The COPS say)