Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide glide conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wide glide conversion

So..... I did this wide glide conversion, went pretty smooth, used the Arlen Ness kit and a demon headlight.... Just a question though, I kept the stock 19" front wheel, and my triple trees had stock rake, is it supposed to ride a little different? I mean I don't hate it, it just feels different????

Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Rode again, it almost feels like the wheel is off center? I find myself steering constantly

Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you use your stock forks? Is there any rake in the trees? If you have stock length forks and didn't change the rake the I would check and make sure your neck bearings are adjusted correctly.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:56 PM
ZombyWoof
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More pics, please!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That doesn't sound normal on my Wide Glide. Have you checked tire pressure? Maybe need fork oil? Tire off center?

I imagine the rake will affect your slow turning and how that feels, but can't offer any more info.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:03 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like you've got an '05-earlier FXD with the 39mm fork tubes ...

Nice looking bike ... good work ...

Was there a spacer between the hub and the disc on the left side of the wheel ...? If so, the wheel should not be off-center ... You should have been able to tell if it was off-center when you were installing the kit ...

If everything went together solid, there should not be much difference in the feel of the front end ...

Did you have the ape hangers on your bike before you did the Ness Wide Glide kit ...? I'm wondering if maybe you weren't accustomed to the difference in the bars ...?

Assuming there was nothing wrong with the install, hopefully it is just a subconscious thing that will go away once you get used to riding it with the new configuration ...

R/
'Chop

Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master

I had he apes prior, I used the stock tubes, the kit had the rotor spacer and axle spacer. I did have to buy a new neck bearing as my old one was seized on the triple tree. There is NO pinch bolt upper neck bearing adjuster like on the stock tree. What it does have is a thin nut and it's threaded at the top of e tree. When the tree goes in from the bottom, you thread down the nut on top of the bearing and the dust cover, then you place the top tree on and secure it wih a huge hex screw to the top of e stem.

I'm thinking I could have possibly mixed up the axle spacers and have them on the wrong side, I'll try that today. I'm also going to tighten up that thin nut on top of e stem over the bearing and dust cup. Is it possible to over grease the neck bearings????

Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master

This is the kit in its original packaging

This the top of the trees, no neck bearing adjuster???

Old 07-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master

And now that I think of it, when I bought the new lower neck bearing, it didn't need to be pressed on, it just slid right on with the tiniest of tolerance. Perhaps that tiny slop in the neck beating extrapolates to a huge handling issue. At speed, the bike tracks just fine, at slower speed I'm constantly correcting

Old 07-29-2012, 07:18 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turret_plug
And now that I think of it, when I bought the new lower neck bearing, it didn't need to be pressed on, it just slid right on with the tiniest of tolerance. Perhaps that tiny slop in the neck beating extrapolates to a huge handling issue. At speed, the bike tracks just fine, at slower speed I'm constantly correcting
Changed bearings on my 06 WG and slid right on, not pressed...
I have the mini apes, and no steering issues at all. In fact I can ride no handed forever if I wanted to....
Sounds like your off center somewhere, or wheels outta balance.
Also make sure your tubes are both even and at the same height, and that you have the same amount of oil in each side. jmo....

Quick Reply: Wide glide conversion