Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late Evo Dyna vs. Early TC88 Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Vaquero.45
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Late Evo Dyna vs. Early TC88 Dyna

Reading through the "Should I buy a 2001 Dyna Wide Glide???" thread inspired a question. I didn't want to hijack that thread so here it is: Assuming you buy this early TC88 and want to upgrade to the gear drive cams and maybe the hi-flow oil pump to make her more reliable, ensure longer engine life, etc., couldn't you, for similar cost, buy a late 90's Evo AND a brand new S&S (or rebuilt HD, whatever) motor with the same or more power, better reliability, cooler running, etc? I'm not insinuating that the Evo is better, just wondering how others see it. I went the opposite direction and bought a '07 SG, based on info about the 2nd generation Twin Cam, new trans. etc., but can't help sometimes wishing for an Evo.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Evos can be made to run as good and as fast as a twin cam but it takes a lot of work to them. pipes, cams, heads, ignition, performance carb, etc. I don't think there are many big bore kits available for evos either so unless you just buy something like an el bruto motor with a bigger bore you will be lacking some in displacement. S&S motors are excellent but also have an excellent price. One thing that I do like about an Evo style motor is they are relatively simple compared to all the electronics/ electric sensors etc. on the newer bikes.