Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading to a thunderheader

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:45 PM
maximuswaximus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading to a thunderheader

I finally almost have saved enough money to put a thunderheader on my fxdb, i cant wait!! Right now i'm running short shots, that being said can i expect any power increase, will i have to make any adjustments with the race tuner, how difficult to install?? anything helps!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you probably will notice a difference over the short shots. off the line will be alot better. as for the tuner, you might have to, but dont hold me to that. maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Lots of folks mention how much of a pain the TH is to install. I did it by myself and didn't find it that bad. I did utilize my feet (sitting on the ground) to hold the end of the pipe up while I fit the pipes into the heads. I suppose it could have been worse.

Depends how good you are.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Thunderheader

I want one so bad. I have V&H now and they are Ok. I am hoping they come out with a X series like the touring that has a full heat shield. I hate the 3 piece they have now but love the look and sound. My friend has a softail Standard the same year as mine with the same cam upgrade and he really pulls on me.

Attached Thumbnails upgrading to a thunderheader-0605131753-02.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 PM
fxdfpants
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from short shots to a thunderheader. The performance gain is -very- noticeable, especially accelerating off the lights, etc. It doesn't die at higher revs like short shots do either.
Sounds quieter on the bike, but is actually way louder...

Install was a pain in the ***. Specifically getting the clamp thing onto the exhaust.

I did a few tune runs with a TTS. Final tune was quite different to the short shots tune.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:28 AM
saschagast
Tourer

Getting the clamp on isn't a big deal with 2 small crow bars or similar, pry open a bit and put over.

My first set i installed was a bitch to pull apart to get into the heads, second set went on like a breeze. So worth it

Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You will feel a big difference if it's tuned properly. I would have it professionally dyno tuned. I also like to tune the baffle on a thunderheader, can get big gains across the board. Very easy to install if you know what you're doing.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
fxdx-matt
Advanced

Lol I'm with SC- Longhair on this one. I had to use my left foot and right knee so I could free up one hand to start a nut on the flange.

Couple things I would recommend is about an inch or so behind the headers put some tape around the pipe then tape the flanges to that to help keep from scratching it.

Also start the headers down at the bottom of the jugs where its a lot smaller and then raise it up into place. I tried just putting mine on like you would think it should go on but didn't really feel like pulling it around like that.

Did both of those with mine and it worked great. Be aware too if your using heat shields the front one with be really close possibly touching the fins just a couple inches away from flange. So you might have to mod it a little if its going to rub.

Matt