Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 PM
sgr60
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Tires

I did some searches on this, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I need to replace the stock tires on my '05 FXDI and I'm wondering if there is a consensus on what good replacement tires are. I'm looking for good all around tires without breaking the bank.

Also, a little wider would be nice too, but nothing too extreme. The bike is stock.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Fusion777
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my Metzeler 880's. Upside: Great handling, nice and sticky. Downside: they wear funny if you aren't on top of air pressure

I've had Michelins recommended to me. The Michelin Pilot CT's on my Triumph are the best tires I've experienced on any vehicle ever but they don't make em in Harley sizes. So Michelin gets a partial vote assuming the quality crosses over to the harley tire.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:16 PM
cerelious
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 on the Metzlers. I love em on my scoot. I do find they wear a little faster (maybe 1k less than the dunlops) but excellent handling

Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+ another on metzelers. make sure to shop around some people mark them up quite a bit. you should be able to bet the pair for 250 to 275.
Alot of people swear the michelin comm. II tires are the real deal. Composite material, they last a long time corner well but beware in the rain they tend to skid.

I'll make the move to metz as soon as these michelins are worn out.

I actually felt more comfortable on my stock dunlops. they were'nt great but I never skidded out with them.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I replaced my stock Dunlop rear with a Commander II around May 01. The Dunlop had 8375 miles on it. So far after 4000 miles on the Commander II I'm happy with the Commander II. Front stock tire has over 12 K on it and I'm looking to replace it with a Commander II in a few weeks.

Try Rocky Mtn ATV/MC. They have the lowest prices I've found plus free shipping.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 AM
whitey78
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll go ahead and say I definitely like the metzler 880's I'm running on my 03 FXDWG (90/90-21 F 160/80/16 R), and were/are a night and day difference from the stock dunlops... but I feel theres a better handling tire out there... I like em', MUCH better than stockers thats for sure... If I were to purchase a new motorcycle, or any motorcycle in the future, the first thing thats mandatory is getting rid of the stock dunlops prior to anything other than a test ride, seriously.. I cant believe HD put such crappy tires on their bikes... I imagine the newest stock bikes must be sporting a better compound tire than my 03... I'd hope so anyhow...

The 880's are lasting like a champ, they get the thumbs up there thats for sure... I have to say though, my father has a set of avon venoms or cobras... I know they switched recently, one of those being discontinued... but he runs those on his fxdl and it obviously handles better due to being a low rider but the feel of the tires actually gives me more confidence than my own bike that I ride literally every day...

Now on wet pavement, reverse the prior statement... I got caught in a rain storm with that LR and those avons and I had it sideways more than once, and not a good fun WOT kinda sideways either... But since the 880's I've only gotten mildly wet while riding so I cant comment on their wet pavement performance actually but anything has to be better than a sticky compound avon in the wet...

So far with the 880's I feel the (forum) recommended PSI at 40F - 45R is too much... As it is my bike gives you the need for that hyper aware at all times feeling because if you look away for a second it'll be your last (I'm going through it 1 thing at a time to try and figure out whats making it so twitchy).... but with that much air pressure it makes the bike extra twitchy and every different pavement surface type sounds like something else is wrong with the bike because they transmit that much it feels like... I dropped it down to 38F 42R and it feels better yet still handles, and a lot of the twitchy went away and it makes it feel a bit more settled when cruising, its just when getting up to speed fast and hard; as you cross the 75 to 85mph threshold you get a shimmy that I cant remember being there before the 880's or not, it goes away if you let off or power through it so I'm at a loss with it but a fall away test/alignment is in the near future...

I cant say they're bad at all, but I definitely wanna try a few different brands of tire before purchasing the 880's again.. Maybe the 888's??? I dont really know if theyre a better handling or lasting tire (both?) but take a look at those as well...

Just watch out when buying tires online at random sites where the same tire is a lot cheaper, that can mean its a "second" or whatever... Also take into consideration before purchasing online; that some local indy's or dealers will mount them for you, some wont... but most should... but its gonna cost between $40-100 each to be mounted and balanced, shop/dealer rape level applies here...

However, I did the cost figuring online vs. local metric dealer for the 880's I have now and they ended up costing me $40 more on the rear, and like $20 on the front as far as overall cost for the tire, but the local dealers price included mounting and balancing if I brought them my tires rather than my whole bike... I woulda saved $60 by ordering online, but it woulda cost me $90+tx to mount... so I ended up saving $30 by buying them locally and just bringing them my tires...

My only overall recommendation is to get away from the stock/oem tire, there are WAY WAY better tires out there... Some folks will say they like the stockers just fine, and have that "harley knows best" mentality... but if you "ride" your bike... you will know that those who say the stock tires are fine, probably dont ride often enough to even need a tire change or have an opinion.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:37 PM
sgr60
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the replies - definitely appreciated. Looks like I've got my research cut out for me.

Any notes on the sizes - has anyone gone up a bit from stock, or do most just replace with the same size tires?

Old 08-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Fusion777
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitey78
My only overall recommendation is to get away from the stock/oem tire, there are WAY WAY better tires out there... Some folks will say they like the stockers just fine, and have that "harley knows best" mentality... but if you "ride" your bike... you will know that those who say the stock tires are fine, probably dont ride often enough to even need a tire change or have an opinion.
^^ this. Stockers tires are built for the owner who keeps the bike mostly parked. They are hard, tough with tremendous lifetime both distance and time-wise but suck for real riding unless you go slow in a straight line.

My opinion you should stay with the same size. Once you get more comfy with brands, your handling needs, etc. then muck with sizes.

EDIT: Well lookey here http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/ti...in-scorcher-31 looks like these Michelins are standard issue on some dynas and sportys. Never saw that... only saw the Dunlops... anyone ride on these Scorchers? Mine had Metzelers when I got it...

Last edited by Fusion777; 08-01-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

another vote for the Commander II's here. Had a set on my old Honda shadow. Best tire Ive ran between Shinko, Kenda, bridgestone, and pirelli's. Mileage is pretty good from what I've seen with them so far (the bike is still in the family) and they were the best handling tire I've ever ran on that bike once I pulled back the pressure in the front a little bit.

I personally like the "scorcher" 31's on my '14 FXDB but when they wear out I'll be putting commander II's on it.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:07 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusion777
^^ this. Stockers tires are built for the owner who keeps the bike mostly parked. They are hard, tough with tremendous lifetime both distance and time-wise but suck for real riding unless you go slow in a straight line.

My opinion you should stay with the same size. Once you get more comfy with brands, your handling needs, etc. then muck with sizes.

EDIT: Well lookey here http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/ti...in-scorcher-31 looks like these Michelins are standard issue on some dynas and sportys. Never saw that... only saw the Dunlops... anyone ride on these Scorchers? Mine had Metzelers when I got it...
I've got the Scorchers on my bike, and comparing them to the Commander II's that I had on my old bike they still leave some room for improvement. I like the Commander II's better. but the sidewall recommendations IMO are too high. I like mine a little softer, and with both the commander II and scorcher at Max psi they handle funny. drop the PSI a little and they've both been great. I think that the commander II is a sticker tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Tires