Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Wrapped RSD Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Uncle Sam
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Heat Wrapped RSD Exhaust

All,

Just wanted to post e few pics of my latest mod and get your feedback. Before I do that though, let me introduce myself as I am new to the forum.

Bought my first HD last November and am now the proud owner of a '14 FXDB Street Bob in the shade of Sand Camo Denim. Since owning the bike I have put about 8,500 miles on it and couldn't be happier with my choice of Harley (until I'm not and I keep modding it). I'm 26 and serving in the US Army as a Recruiter, hence the username choice. Future mods will be some TBars and hopefully Ohlins shocks. My current list of mods will be posted in my signature.

I look forward to sharing my experiences with you. Keep 'em between the ditches!

Oh yeah, the pipes. So I wrapped my RSD 2-1 slants in Carbon ops finish... Why? Well, to put it simply, they pit out a $#!+ load of heat during commuting and stopping at the lights. That, and the fact that they turned purple and the guys at V&H never got back to me when I contacted the warranty department (they turned color after only being on the bike for around 30 days). I am pleased with the way the heat wrapped turned out and think I.made the right choice. Thoughts?

Last edited by Uncle Sam; 09-09-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good man I really like that pipe and thanks for your service.

With all that said. If I were you I'd spray it with a silicone sealer (dei I think) to prevent moisture. The last set of pipes I wrapped caused rust/cracking because of moisture. Some have a great luck and some don't. Just my .02

Old 09-09-2014, 02:53 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you wrap OVER the heat shields? I ask only because those header pipes look really thick. Throttle Jockey's suggestion is a good one. I used ultra high temp header paint on my wrapped pipes instead of silicone sealant for the same reason.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:18 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I am dying to see these pipes up close and personal - but with no heat shields, I can only imagine how hot it would be on the legs. I have the V&H 2-into-2 big radius and they interfere with all kinds of stuff - can barely get the dipstick out to check the oil, and I have short little legs and I'm always burning my right calf...

Originally Posted by Uncle Sam
All,

Just wanted to post e few pics of my latest mod and get your feedback. Before I do that though, let me introduce myself as I am new to the forum.

Bought my first HD last November and am now the proud owner of a '14 FXDB Street Bob in the shade of Sand Camo Denim. Since owning the bike I have put about 8,500 miles on it and couldn't be happier with my choice of Harley (until I'm not and I keep modding it). I'm 26 and serving in the US Army as a Recruiter, hence the username choice. Future mods will be some TBars and hopefully Ohlins shocks. My current list of mods will be posted in my signature.

I look forward to sharing my experiences with you. Keep 'em between the ditches!

Oh yeah, the pipes. So I wrapped my RSD 2-1 slants in Carbon ops finish... Why? Well, to put it simply, they pit out a $#!+ load of heat during commuting and stopping at the lights. That, and the fact that they turned purple and the guys at V&H never got back to me when I contacted the warranty department (they turned color after only being on the bike for around 30 days). I am pleased with the way the heat wrapped turned out and think I.made the right choice. Thoughts?

Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Uncle Sam
Cruiser

The heat shields that the pipes come with are minimal and aren't quite sufficient. I recycled the black hose clamps that were used for the heat shields to secure the wrap. I also sprayed the wrap with VHT flame proof paint in flat black finish and they haven't faded...yet.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Myishmael
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Sam
The heat shields that the pipes come with are minimal and aren't quite sufficient. I recycled the black hose clamps that were used for the heat shields to secure the wrap. I also sprayed the wrap with VHT flame proof paint in flat black finish and they haven't faded...yet.
Can we get a status update on this one? How effective was the wrap at controlling the heat? Any fading? I can't believe how hot my FXDB gets with these pipes, thinking of doing the same next year. If it wasn't 10 degrees above freezing right now I'd be in a bad place

Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Uncle Sam
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Myishmael
Can we get a status update on this one? How effective was the wrap at controlling the heat? Any fading? I can't believe how hot my FXDB gets with these pipes, thinking of doing the same next year. If it wasn't 10 degrees above freezing right now I'd be in a bad place
The wrap has show some signs of fading but it is still doing its job for sure. All I have to do is take them off and respray them before a show, only takes about 15 minutes to take them off and overnight to dry. I also took one of the heat shields and put it on the bottom side of the y-pipe for a skid plate. The ground clearness on these pipes are complete s#!t...

Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 PM
AdamM
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Love that exhaust! Good lookin' bike you've got there. Have you tuned it yet? If not, having an exhaust and A/C without a tune is what caused the pipe to change colors so quickly

Old 02-05-2016, 06:38 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I love your bike!. That's my favorite color from HD right now.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Uncle Sam
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SquishyLowRider
I love your bike!. That's my favorite color from HD right now.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't see too many Street Bob's with this color and I am very happy with it. I am still trying to get very thing else black though...

Quick Reply: Heat Wrapped RSD Exhaust