Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cam Questions

Ok, 2005 FXDL, stock motor. Been looking into engine upgrades, obviously changing the cams is near the top of the list.

A couple questions, when looking at the Andrews website, I see there are "chain driven" and "gear driven" cams. What is the difference? And I see most people going with the "37" cams...is this the most bang for the buck?

Finally...can I change the cam before bumping up to the big bore kit? I plan on doing either a 95" or 97" kit in the next few months...will this require re-tuning multiple times? I plan on having a local shop do the build-out...should I just do it all at once or will I notice gains with the cams before I bump up the displacement? Thanks!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The cams that are described as "gear driven" are for use if you have gear drive installed to replace the chain driven cam tensioners. You would know if you'd had this done.

As far as which cam to purchase, I suggest that you need to decide what your final goal with the engine is. A cam that is good for your 88" engine with high flow a/c and exhaust is probably not the best cam when you've punched it out to 95"+. Likewise, if you are having head work done, or expect to in the near future, a different cam is recommended. Also, the compression you will be running is a factor you must consider, as is the type of riding you expect to do.

You will need to retune each time you add something, which is another reason for doing it all at once. I cannot remember whether you bike is carb or f.I. but if it's f.I., you'll need a tuner as well.

I strongly suggest, as I think I did in a previous similar thread of yours, that you find a independent Harley mechanic in your area with a good reputation, and sit down with him/her and plan out each component of your upgrade. All the parts have to work together and often the choices on what part to use will depend in large part on what other parts you have chosen.