Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Pops Fuse in Rain

Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 AM
dab102999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pops Fuse in Rain

I just bought a 2010 Ultra. Only issue (known) that previous owner told me is when running in the rain with both headlight and passing lights on it will pop the fuse. He has taken it to the dealer a few times with no solution and he got tired of spending the money on it so when it rains he just turns the passing light off. I am planning on putting daymakers on it and am pretty familiar with electrical stuff so my plan is to go thru everything I can see and put die-electric grease and looks for cracks in anything but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and there solution (besides turn the light off...lol)

thanks for reading

Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

When fuses blow like that that means it is most likely shorting to ground. There must be an exposed wire for the aux lights when the moisture hits it it is conducting electricity and then shorting out. I would start there.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:18 AM
dab102999
Cruiser

thank you and that is my plan. Tracking everything down, just wanted to make sure there isn't a "Hey this is it" type thing.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:57 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

If any recent mods I would start there as well

Old 05-11-2017, 02:49 PM
dab102999
Cruiser

Never thought about mods, there are accent lights wired to the acc switch and I noticed one is missing so maybe I take those off too. I don't believe any other mods except Rush pipes and air cleaner. No tunner and dash "looks" factory. lucky for me it is still supposed to be cool around me next week so will give me time to tear into it, would like to isolate this prob before I upgrade the lights. Thank you everyone for your help.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Unfortunaly owner electrical mods are a source of problems! Sounds like the PO may not have done a thorough job when installing the accent lights, so it is worth taking a close look at them and any other changes he may have done. Sounds as if you are well able to chase this down!

Old 05-14-2017, 07:30 AM
dab102999
Cruiser

Tour of the fairing off and some of the things under it and look the best. I eliminated the accessory lights he at least had them hooked up to the accessory switch but it wasn't the best connection so I made that watertight for now. But he had two accessory lights wired to the orange and black wire in the headlight loom. That conception was really bad so eliminated those also. From what I can tell in my service manual those wires are for hid lights only. Can they be used as a power sore for something else? My gut says no.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dab102999
From what I can tell in my service manual those wires are for hid lights only. Can they be used as a power sore for something else? My gut says no.
I agree, headlights on most bikes are the highest power consumers and no other items should use those same wires.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

If they were wired into the same pair as the headlights then that is probably your problem. There is a second pair of Orange and Black wires under the fairing that is not used in US models. It is safe to wire auxiliary devices to those.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 PM
dab102999
Cruiser

Originally Posted by larsfum
If they were wired into the same pair as the headlights then that is probably your problem. There is a second pair of Orange and Black wires under the fairing that is not used in US models. It is safe to wire auxiliary devices to those.
In thw wire loom for the light there a is a three wire harness (yellow, black And white maybe) don't quote me on color and then a orange and a black wire. They were not "connected" to the other three but made me assume the had to do with the light. As soon as I put any power to the bike with the key switch it makes the orange and black a hot circut. Acessory switch on dash has no affect on this circut. How would I isolate if it is the one you are referring to or what I am assuming it is. If it is an Acessory hot I would like to use it for a power supply for a mp3 or something like that. But Don't Want To Tax My lights. For now gunna leave it empty till I know I have the original problem solved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pops Fuse in Rain