Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Pop on decel.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Rapidmc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop on decel.

I installed the SE stage 1 air cleaner and Rush slip on mufflers. Today I had the dealer install the stage 1 download. Now my bike is popping on decel and sometimes in between shifts. I thought the download was supposed to fix the air/fuel ratio? Is the popping because it's running lean? Am I doing damage running it like this?

Old 11-04-2015, 04:49 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts

Downloads are supposed too but rarely do, they're a starting point and You'll need to fine tune it. Yes it's running lean and will run hotter but not to the point where I think it'll damage the motor like melt a piston or something.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The motor will not run any leaner than stock so need to worry.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:00 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Take it back to the Dealer. A lot of the time the Dealers will just download the program then shove the bike over to the side without actually starting it or riding it.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Man, I love the way that popping sounds. Like a stock car. Especially the big ones. Damn.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:32 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapidmc
I installed the SE stage 1 air cleaner and Rush slip on mufflers. Today I had the dealer install the stage 1 download. Now my bike is popping on decel and sometimes in between shifts. I thought the download was supposed to fix the air/fuel ratio? Is the popping because it's running lean? Am I doing damage running it like this?
The factory downloads are configured for factory upgrades; aftermarket hardware like the Rush mufflers don't fit the program. Even if all HD parts are used the downloads do little more than add a bit of fuel; I don't think they even increase the rev limiter any more; pretty useless and not worth the $$$.

You need a fuel management system like the TTS Mastertune, Powervision or the HD SEPST and a proper dyno tune; it will make a huge difference. Please don't let the dealer tune the motor; find a reputable tuner in your area.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:56 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
You need a fuel management system like the TTS Mastertune, Powervision or the HD SEPST and a proper dyno tune; it will make a huge difference. Please don't let the dealer tune the motor; find a reputable tuner in your area.
Took me twice at the dealer to learn that one. Bike constantly would ping when hot. I took it to a well known local shop that builds motors and they gave me damn near 10 more ft/lbs of torque and a flawless running bike.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Need to know the bike model and year. Usually if you just upgrade the mufflers tuning is not required. When upgrading the ac and mufflers, it's too much of a change and tuning might be required. A small flutter sound is normal, a backfire like a gun going off is not. Call our tech support if you would like to discuss options with a tech and see if your exact setup should be ok with just the download.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Rapidmc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. My bike is a 2015 Street Bob. The pop isn't like a gun going off but seems to be a little more than a flutter. Also it doesn't do it every time. I would say about 50% of the time.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:12 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. My bike is a 2015 Street Bob. The pop isn't like a gun going off but seems to be a little more than a flutter. Also it doesn't do it every time. I would say about 50% of the time.
Decel popping is very annoying and a clear indicator that the tune is off or there are intake/exhaust leaks. Install a fuel management system and get the motor dyno tuned.

Quick Reply: Pop on decel.