Notices
Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

New cam install thread

Old 03-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Diverrick
One Of The Regulars
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New cam install thread

Ok. I started out last weekend seeing as it was going to be raining, i figured good time to be install my cams. Took all the stuff off like exhaust and floor boards to gain access. Everything went well until I went to pull the inner bearings. The tool I had just bought was the wrong sized one, and so was the gear locking tool. So much for a one day job. Contacted the folks who I bought the stuff from and got the correct puller and gear locking tool coming my way. While i was delayed, I was talked to changing my lifters as well by a fine forum member. So those were coming as well. While I was waiting I cleaned the parts and noted the tensioners had some wear, so I orderd those as well. This last weekend everything came in, so I Picked up where I left off. Started installing the pushrods, and thats where I should have stopped. I was not feeling well, and not really up to par. End result was I ended up installing the push rods numerous times for different reasons, such as leaving the O rings off. I also didn't understand the you have to use some of the old push rod tube when you install the quicky rods. Learning curve was steep. Rght now I am up to reinstalling the exhaust and running it. I'd love to test it first to make sure all is well, but I need the exhaust on to do that.

Last edited by Diverrick; 03-14-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:16 PM
adm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 437 Posts

You might find yourself installing the push rod tubes again! If you are using the S&S Quickees with the tubes they supply in their kit, you may find the from exhaust rod hits on the inside of the tube. You'll hear it if it does.

If so, you can use the top part of the original OEM tube with the bottom part of the S&S tube. That fixed that issue for me!

Old 03-15-2016, 12:36 AM
Diverrick
One Of The Regulars

The tops sections look the same to me except for the S&S tubes are longer. What s the difference?

The following users liked this post:
adm (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 776 Likes on 714 Posts

What cams did you go with and is it a 103 build?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Diverrick
One Of The Regulars

I chose to run with the S&S 551ES Cams It had the power in the range I was looking for. It was a 103 to begin with. Just wanted a little more power, not a drag racer. These seem to fit the bill. Only time will tell if I made the right choice I guess.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:35 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

I absolutely hear you, I had the same difficulty when I did my cams on the push rod tubes, not a lot of instruction there. In fact I altered my own cam install thread to address just that. If it helps at all, I just did another cam change and using what I learned from the last time, the PR installation and covers were a snap!

Good luck and enjoy the fruits of your labor

Old 03-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Diverrick
One Of The Regulars

I was feeling a bit better today, so I figured I'd get on the bike again. Started with installing the exhaust loosely except at the heads. They were not joking the exhaust is a PITA!! I wanted to make sure it ran ok before going any further with the exhaust. So with all the build up, I hit the starter. Nothing, just cranks. Good news, nothing sounds like it is hitting. I had pulled the motor through by hand before this moment. So, I am thinking Damn, what did I do wrong now. Then it hit me.. The plugs you dummy!! Installed both plugs and she fired up, but the front jug was tapping like crazy so I shut it down, pulled the plugs again, and took both pushrods off. Found the intake push rod loose, and the jam nut down below, not on the threads as it should have been. Guess I now know to never work on my bike when I am full of cold medicine. I must have forgotten to adjust it. Anyhow, took out both pushrods, as it is much easier to set the intake without the exhaust tube in the way, and I wanted to make sure the lifters were on the base of the cams.
Got the intake reinstalled and now waiting for the lifter to bleed down before moving onto the Exhaust. Like I said "learning is occurring". But damn I sure do it the hard way sometimes.

Last edited by Diverrick; 03-15-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:39 PM
djl
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 428 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Diverrick View Post
I chose to run with the S&S 551ES Cams It had the power in the range I was looking for. It was a 103 to begin with. Just wanted a little more power, not a drag racer. These seem to fit the bill. Only time will tell if I made the right choice I guess.
Good choice; I think you will really like those cams in a 103"er; lots of compression and should be fun. S&S 509, 551 and 583 are, IMHO which doesn't mean anything, best cams in the S&S catalog.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Diverrick
One Of The Regulars

I put it all back together after setting both push rods again, only to find it is still ticking on the front jug. I must be missing something here.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:44 PM
djl
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 428 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Diverrick View Post
I put it all back together after setting both push rods again, only to find it is still ticking on the front jug. I must be missing something here.
If there was no ticking before the cam install, my money is on a loose pushrod; happens a lot with first time DIYers. If you can identify which pushrod is making the noise, collapse the tube, get the piston at TDC on the compression stroke and check the offending pushrod. If you cannot identify which one, follow that process and check them all.

If there was ticking before the cam install, check the posts in this forum for the Rocker Lockers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New cam install thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: