Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Fuel Moto build complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Spikester67
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Moto build complete

Hey guys. I recently finished my build and thought I would share my experience with the group. The new components on my 2015 FLHXS include:
- Fuel Moto 107 heavy duty cylinders
- Carrillo 10:5:1 pistons
- Fuel Moto level B heads
- Ported/polished throttle body
- AIM VPC
- Powervision with a canned map from Fuel Moto
Existing mods include:
- Woods 777 cams
- SE Elite heavy breather
- 09 catless header
- 4.5" RCXhaust slip ons
Originally I was going to have someone else install it all, but I am so glad I didn't. I did it all myself and had a blast doing it! There is nothing like wrenching on your own bike! Did I have to make a couple tool purchases, yes. Were there a couple times that I wanted to throw wrenches across the garage, yes. However, the knowledge I gained and the pride that I feel knowing I did this all myself is priceless.
If you can change your own oil, more than likely you can handle this yourself. Buy the manual, take your time, and use the torque specs. They are there for a reason! I have to give a big thanks to Bob and everyone else at Fuel Moto. Those guys are beyond patient and the definition of customer service.
Originally I was going to do a 110 kit but was swayed due to opinions of the reliability of the steel liners vs. a 107 set up. With that said, I couldn't be happier with the performance gains since this build. After much research I chose to use the MotoMan break in method (I know, I know, my bike will blow up now for sure...... ) and have a good idea what this can now do with just 60 miles on it since completion. I have one word........ DAMN. This thing hauls ***** compared to what it had before.
Moral of the story - if the budget allows, and you are on the fence about something like this: DO IT!!! You will not be disappointed. I will post a dyno sheet once I get some more miles on it. Rubber side down fellas!

Last edited by Spikester67; 02-14-2017 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
94 ultra (05-13-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:39 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Very nice, will be cool to see those numbers. I'm hopeful to get my build going after this next riding season, and leaning towards FuelMoto also. Ride safe.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Spikester67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nutsandbolts5212
Very nice, will be cool to see those numbers. I'm hopeful to get my build going after this next riding season, and leaning towards FuelMoto also. Ride safe.
Thanks. I wish you the best as well. When you do, buy a ring compressor! I used the popsicle stick method they show in the video to do the piston rings. That might work out great if you have done it a bunch in the past but not if you are a rookie like me!

The following 2 users liked this post by Spikester67:
nutsandbolts5212 (02-10-2017), robbyville (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

i Installed my S&S kit today and used the popsicle sticks for the rings. Like you said, if you did it all the time it might be easier. Ring compressor would be worth the $50 in time saved

Old 02-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Spikester67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
i Installed my S&S kit today and used the popsicle sticks for the rings. Like you said, if you did it all the time it might be easier. Ring compressor would be worth the $50 in time saved
Amen! Have you had a chance to take yours out since the build?

Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Not yet. Have cylinders on and the heads. Friday the S&S cam plate and oil pump will be delivered then I can finish this weekend. Tuesday off to the tuner. Im praying every night there are no problems. I went with the Cycle-Rama 575 cams, S&S lifters and push rods. When it was apart every remaining piece of chrome got powder coated black.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Spikester67
Intermediate

Not yet. Have cylinders on and the heads. Friday the S&S cam plate and oil pump will be delivered then I can finish this weekend. Tuesday off to the tuner. Im praying every night there are no problems. I went with the Cycle-Rama 575 cams, S&S lifters and push rods. When it was apart every remaining piece of chrome got powder coated black.
Nice! Sounds like she will be a screamer! It's cool you are also doing cosmetic work while she is tore down also. Definitely the way to go. I sure was impressed after mine was done. My biggest problem before I put it all together were the 777 cams I had with stock heads. It was lugging pretty bad down low.

Last edited by Spikester67; 02-14-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:58 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spikester67
Nice! Sounds like she will be a screamer! It's cool you are also doing cosmetic work while she is tore down also. Definitely the way to go. I sure was impressed after mine was done. My biggest problem before I put the together was the 777 cams I had with stock heads. It was lugging pretty bad down low.
Did you have it tuned after you did the cams? Im sure yours is a arm stretcher now!!

I didn't have the coin at the time to do the heads now, next winter. Before I selected what cams I looked at a lot of dyno sheets and thats why I chose the CR-575. Im at the upper end for compression with them but the heads will be fine. I don't go over 4500rpms often. And those cams produce great numbers down low from the sheets I have seen. Motor will be broke in on the dyno and tuned with a TTS. The powdercoater did a real nice job, using all stainless hardware with it.

Last edited by eaglefan1; 02-13-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:45 AM
Spikester67
Intermediate

Did you have it tuned after you did the cams? Im sure yours is a arm stretcher now!!

I didn't have the coin at the time to do the heads now, next winter. Before I selected what cams I looked at a lot of dyno sheets and thats why I chose the CR-575. Im at the upper end for compression with them but the heads will be fine. I don't go over 4500rpms often. And those cams produce great numbers down low from the sheets I have seen. Motor will be broke in on the dyno and tuned with a TTS. The powdercoater did a real nice job, using all stainless hardware with it.
Yes, the cam install along with other mods were done at the dealership. They then re-tuned it on the dyno. The price of labor, along with my lack of faith in their tuning ability are what made me want to do this install myself. One thing is for sure- I love feeling the improvement everytime I do something new!

Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 PM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 78 Posts

Any other gotcha's on the tool front besides the ring compressor?? I am seriously thinking of doing this myself also (I have done everything else myself or with my friend so far...all oil changes, 3 exhaust installs, 3 intakes, a 23 inch conversion using HHI bolt on rake kit, Ohlins rear ends, stereo crap...etc...) but haven't touched anything internal...so a bit nervous but willing to say FACK it!!! LOLZ

Quick Reply: Fuel Moto build complete