Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Lifter replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 07:36 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lifter replacement question

First time replacing lifters in my 2015 CVO trying to learn to do it as a part of routine maintenance. Using S&S lifters and SE ez-pushrods. Making good progress but need to readjust one of the pushrods. If I back the pushrod back to its shortened length will the lifter expand back to its original height once I take preload off of it? Need to find zero lash point again to adjust properly. Engine has not been started while doing this. I realize this is probably a dumb question for experienced mechanics but don't want to chance messing a valve up.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:51 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

You might be over thinking this. For the pushrod you want to adjust, you need to put the cam on the base circle. Make your adjustment and wait 30 mins or so. Verify that you can turn the push rod. If you can, which you should be able to, you're done. Just an FYI, replacing lifters is not routine maintenance. They only need to be replaced if one goes bad. I think its safe to say that most people replace them when they do a cam swap though.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 AM
TNCarters
Road Master

I've adjusted one of them once and want to redo it. Just wanted to be sure the lifter will go back to initial height so I can redo that pushrod adjustment. Lifter replacement has become routine maintenance for CVO 110 engines not covered by ESP. A large percentage of the engines have had tappet roller bearings go out in the 30-50 thousand mile range and take out the oil pump and bearings. I don't want this happening on road trips so plan to change them with S&S about every 20k miles. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TNCarters
I've adjusted one of them once and want to redo it. Just wanted to be sure the lifter will go back to initial height so I can redo that pushrod adjustment. Lifter replacement has become routine maintenance for CVO 110 engines not covered by ESP. A large percentage of the engines have had tappet roller bearings go out in the 30-50 thousand mile range and take out the oil pump and bearings. I don't want this happening on road trips so plan to change them with S&S about every 20k miles. Thanks for the reply.

Once you replace the stock ones the first time. Do you really need to again? S&S lifters dont need replaced every 20k, do they?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:51 PM
TNCarters
Road Master

Lunchboxx, you may be correct as I've never heard of a problem with an S&S premium lifter. Guess I'll have a couple years to decide as it'll take me that long to put another 20k on her. It'll be easy next time if needed as I will know how and already have the adjustable in there. Who knows, may decide I want an M8 if they have another CVO RGU by then.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:11 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The root issue with most all the CVO lifter failures is the very aggressive valve spring that Competition Cams supply HD for that head.
Large, unwarranted, lifter load.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:04 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by fordhd2005
You might be over thinking this. For the pushrod you want to adjust, you need to put the cam on the base circle. Make your adjustment and wait 30 mins or so. Verify that you can turn the push rod. If you can, which you should be able to, you're done. Just an FYI, replacing lifters is not routine maintenance. They only need to be replaced if one goes bad. I think its safe to say that most people replace them when they do a cam swap though.

strongly disagree with the "replace only when one goes bad",damage is already done by then.OEM lifters should be replaced with S&S (standard or premium) right from the get go,i wouldn't even wait 20K miles.also don't fall for gimmicky crap or "re-named' lifters,get S&S,by far the best available.i also agree with scotts assessment on the CVO valve springs & lifter failure,switch them for AV&V beehives on every set done here

Old 05-02-2017, 07:48 PM
TNCarters
Road Master

Thanks Hillside and Prodrag. The reason for waiting until 20k was that was when my factory warranty was running out. May eventually also do the heads/springs/guides and some cam work. For now since warranty was expiring I wanted to get the HD lifters out. From what I could tell looking down the lifter openings the cam lobes looked to be in good shape and lifter rollers rolled easily with no apparent roller surface damage.