Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Help adjustable pr with 570 easy start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:05 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Exclamation Help adjustable pr with 570 easy start

OK, like title say's, my mech messed up adjusting rods properly, 2 questions, Do I rotate wheel forward, plugs out etc,5th gear, until I hear that lil click, and it goes up n down ever so slightly, The way I was measuring height of pistons is with a straw, thru spark plug hole, just as a safety to ensure the piston was truly TDC, Or do I get them both at TDC? or one at a time? I did each one independantly, and than make my 24 flats! After this, than I had a tapping, when first, or second adjustment, which I think were fine btw,I never had that tapping,People say do this way and that way, I should of left alone!!!! As now I'm screwed!!! And yes I. installed the rockout rollers!!!, I have almost 200 miles on 107 build, motors broken in, I was told that there sloppy so turn them down one or 2 flats? I did that and it still taps???? I know to do exhaust side first, than intake, and one cylinder at a time, what I'm not sure of, is if after I adjust rear cylinder, do I than spin wheel, and try to get front cylinder tdc on other cylinder when done with first?? or did I do backwards, to me common sense says they were to tight and pushing rockers to hard, when I pulled plugs I was able to twist the rods tho? PLEASE HELP, 3 DAYS TRYING TO GET THIS RIGHT, DRIVING ME NUTYS I HEAR SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS.....So both at TDC at same time, than do front to rear, than next cylinder?>or loosen?HELP, THERE THE S&S ADJUSTABLE STYLE, NOT THE QUICKYS, AND THERE S&S 570 EASY START CAMS, 10.1 COMPRESSION,STAGE 1 HEAD BUILD,THROTTLE BODY PORT....THANKS

Last edited by TOMMYBLAZIN; 09-13-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:15 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

maybe 1 and a half flats to be honest, but I thought ss window is 4 turns to 3 1/2 turns, thats the window?so 24 puts me at the 4??? thats why I'm thinking maybe I should of loosened them, or am I doing this wrong, get BOTH PISTONS TDC, than make adjustments in proper order?

Old 09-13-2017, 08:21 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

This is all you need and it even goes over easy starts

https://www.sscycle.com/tech-info/in...rod-adjustment

Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Beat me to it!

Tommy, take a breath... loosen the rods, watch the video from start to finish, then bring the video into the garage, follow along and pause when needed. You can do it! But... I don't get how your qualified mechanic who assembled your motor messed it up, hope you got some money back!

Old 09-14-2017, 03:38 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by robbyville
Beat me to it!

Tommy, take a breath... loosen the rods, watch the video from start to finish, then bring the video into the garage, follow along and pause when needed. You can do it! But... I don't get how your qualified mechanic who assembled your motor messed it up, hope you got some money back!
me2 . its been a DISASTER FROM HIM TO MY WIFE, I LOVE THE BIKE, its ME, but it brings so much with it!!!thanks guys

Old 09-14-2017, 03:48 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Beat me to it!

so in my case, I spin wheel, doing all he said which I've done, look for the front 2 to move and the rear to stay put , at that point the rear is on base circle? and look for the bump, which I identified with already..

Old 09-14-2017, 04:42 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Beat me to it!

ok watched video, doesn't work, I have the adjustable SS not the quick, I loosen and set them all even zero lash, start spinning tire, the other cylinder NEVER LINES UP TOGETHER as the exhaust side seems to tighten like 3 turns, so I loosen, try again, now it gets stuck up as I have to lower again, I hear the click on cams, on rear cam, I have a zip tie in hole ,it touches piston at like 1 1/2' right after the click, that has to be TDC no?this is whats happening, I'm sweating all over, spun that rear tire and made adjustments like 20 times EASY, NOW WHAT, DO REAR CYLINDER AS THAT HAS TO BE THE TOP, AND THAN SPIN WAIT FOR CLICK AND MEASURE THE REAR, EVEN THO THATS WHAT I DID LAST NIGHT, ALL 3 STAY ZERO LASH, SEEMS ONE ALWAYS TIGHTENS? NO MATTER WHAT I DO?

Old 09-14-2017, 04:42 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by misfitJason

https://youtu.be/n5KvamRqCis

ok watched video, doesn't work, I have the adjustable SS not the quick, I loosen and set them all even zero lash, start spinning tire, the other cylinder NEVER LINES UP TOGETHER as the exhaust side seems to tighten like 3 turns, so I loosen, try again, now it gets stuck up as I have to lower again, I hear the click on cams, on rear cam, I have a zip tie in hole ,it touches piston at like 1 1/2' right after the click, that has to be TDC no?this is whats happening, I'm sweating all over, spun that rear tire and made adjustments like 20 times EASY, NOW WHAT, DO REAR CYLINDER AS THAT HAS TO BE THE TOP, AND THAN SPIN WAIT FOR CLICK AND MEASURE THE REAR, EVEN THO THATS WHAT I DID LAST NIGHT, ALL 3 STAY ZERO LASH, SEEMS ONE ALWAYS TIGHTENS? NO MATTER WHAT I DO?

Old 09-14-2017, 04:59 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by misfitJason

https://youtu.be/n5KvamRqCis

TO GIVE YOU IDEA THE WAY I JUST DID FIRST PIC, WHERE IM ALMOST OUT OF ADJUSTMENT I JUST HEARD CLICK AND THE PISTON IS LIKE 1" FROM OPEN SPARK PLUG HOLE, SECOND PIC IS OTHER SIDE, THERES SO MUCH MORE ADJUSTMENT OVER THERE, IM DOING FIRST PIC, FIRST, DOES THAT LOOK /SEEM / RIGHT TO YOU GUYS?
ALSO, THE CYLINDER IN FIRST PIC TOP OF PISTON 1" FROM OPEN PLUG HOLE THE FRONT CYLINDER IS ALMOST EXACTLLY 2" FROM TOP OF HOLE.THAT DOESNT SEEM RIGHT I WOULD THINK ONE WOULD BE ALL UP AND OTHER ALL DOWN? UNLESS I GOT THE THEORY WRONG?

Last edited by TOMMYBLAZIN; 09-14-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:59 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Beat me to it!

TO GIVE YOU IDEA THE WAY I JUST DID FIRST PIC, WHERE IM ALMOST OUT OF ADJUSTMENT I JUST HEARD CLICK AND THE PISTON IS LIKE 1" FROM OPEN SPARK PLUG HOLE, SECOND PIC IS OTHER SIDE, THERES SO MUCH MORE ADJUSTMENT OVER THERE, IM DOING FIRST PIC, FIRST, DOES THAT LOOK /SEEM / RIGHT TO YOU GUYS?

THE CYLINDER IN FIRST PIC TOP OF PISTON 1" FROM OPEN PLUG HOLE THE FRONT CYLINDER IS ALMOST EXACTLLY 2" FROM TOP OF HOLE.THAT DOESNT SEEM RIGHT I WOULD THINK ONE WOULD BE ALL UP AND OTHER ALL DOWN? UNLESS I GOT THE THEORY WRONG?

Last edited by TOMMYBLAZIN; 09-14-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Help adjustable pr with 570 easy start