Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

883/1200 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:26 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

I would talk to Kirby, he suggested using worked 110 heads on my 107 build and while many told me it was a waste of money and my stock heads would work fine after a good port job, the build worked out great HP is climbing all the way to the red line at 6200. Even my dyno guy was impressed with how well they worked. There are some great head porters right here answering your questions, you would be wise to listen to them.

if i am not mistaken, this is your exact post,,,,,,how popular is a 107 build on a sporty? very popular on TC, but not so much on sportster. that is how i came to that.
Now if you are referring to the 1100cc XL heads, that is a different story, but your post has the numbers 107 and 110. And I dont think that 110 TC heads would work very well on an Evo sporty
Like I said, I wasn't trying to be an ******* or direct anything negative to you or your posting. I am sorry if you took it that way, but that was not my intent.
m

Last edited by marcodarq; 09-16-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
I would talk to Kirby, he suggested using worked 110 heads on my 107 build and while many told me it was a waste of money and my stock heads would work fine after a good port job, the build worked out great HP is climbing all the way to the red line at 6200. Even my dyno guy was impressed with how well they worked. There are some great head porters right here answering your questions, you would be wise to listen to them.

if i am not mistaken, this is your exact post,,,,,,how popular is a 107 build on a sporty? very popular on TC, but not so much on sportster. that is how i came to that.
Now if you are referring to the 1100cc XL heads, that is a different story, but your post has the numbers 107 and 110.
Like I said, I wasn't trying to be an ******* or direct anything negative to you or your posting. I am sorry if you took it that way, but that was not my intent.
m
All I was trying to say is listen to Kirby, he suggested I use bigger heads than most people say to use and it worked out great. I knew from the first post we are discussing a sportster here. I see this kinda **** all the time where these guys come on here ask a question and get good, proven advice from guys like Scott and Kirby and then follow some other path and are right back on here wondering why they didn't get the numbers they were after. My experience with Kirby is building a 107 so I used that as an example, I'm sorry you can't follow that from original post but don't try to make me out to be so f-in stupid that I'm suggesting using 110 heads on a sportster build.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

All right take is easy Francis. I wasn't trying to make you out to anything and even apologized to you twice. I agree a lot of people post up here without having a clue like you said, but I was not in any way stating that you were doing that, in fact we were both saying the same thing, LISTEN to guys like Kirby and Scott.
Take a chill pill and find something better to do that sit behind your pc and attack someone that you have no knowledge about or reason to attack in the first place.
m

Last edited by marcodarq; 09-16-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:53 PM
Deepsouth86
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
All I was trying to say is listen to Kirby, he suggested I use bigger heads than most people say to use and it worked out great. I knew from the first post we are discussing a sportster here. I see this kinda **** all the time where these guys come on here ask a question and get good, proven advice from guys like Scott and Kirby and then follow some other path and are right back on here wondering why they didn't get the numbers they were after. My experience with Kirby is building a 107 so I used that as an example, I'm sorry you can't follow that from original post but don't try to make me out to be so f-in stupid that I'm suggesting using 110 heads on a sportster build.
I'm sure glad you can insult my intelligence....but I was only pushing for 70+ hp and 75+ flbs at the rear!!! Of course I'm probably gonna go a different route because I'm not seeking so much power it's not enjoyable for a few hundreds miles at a time.. but I found out the info I needed and got the results I wanted to hear a true dyno done on a 17 iron with 1200 kit from SE Vance and Hines short shots(which I already ordered and installing myself) new heads jugs and pistons with tuner producing 77 hp and 81 flbs at the wheel on the dyno sheet. This won't be Harley installed for I have found a better shop to do the work that builds race engines... I believe they will make one Percision piece!!!! I believe I won't be asking for further questions about anything sense most people on here love comparing tampons more than giving half-*** descent advice!!!! Good day lady's

Old 09-19-2017, 11:25 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

no one was insulting ANYONE'S intelligence,,,,the little deal bewtween Fat11LO and I had nothing to do with YOU Deep.
If you had stated the power figures that you were looking to get just about everyone here would have told you that that was easily attainable with sock 1200 heads, pistons, cylinders, good pipe airbox and good tune. It's a very proven fact on MY dyno and many others around the country.
To ME, it sounded like you were looking to get into the 80+ hp range and to do that you need more work, headwork, cams and compression, again proven fact.
I have dyno data and running and riding motorcycles to back up the things that i post up about, you can't ask for anything better than proven facts for advise....you do what you like....but since no one here directed ANYthing negative towards you, maybe YOU should try these things out for yourself and learn the facts.
m

Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Supertrapp 2/1 is a VERY GOOD pipe for those.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Get the 1250 bolt on kit from Hammer Performance. Going cheap now that they're designed the 1275.

Get whatever tuner you are comfortable using.

Leave your 883 heads alone. Unless you're over 5000rpm's it doesn't make a different.

I've built an 88" sportster before and while it was a blast with 100/100, it was not very streetable. I listened to all the go-fast guys on XLForum and made the bike so powerful it wasn't really fun to cruise on anymore.