Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

New starter engine acts like its seized

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Jscifres68
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New starter engine acts like its seized

Hello all first off appreciate any help I'm relatively mechanically inclined so here's the rub I have an 01 heritage softail with the 88ci carb I recently ran into an electrical issue where my neg terminal melted I know that it's caused by a short somewhere but the bike got real hot and fast forward to today I've stripped everything off (was goingto paint her while she's down) and thought my problem was either starter or regulator because it would not turn over and if It did it would get a quarter of a turn so after new battery new regulator and new starter I figured since the primary cover was off I would test the new starter see if I got everything right so the starter would engaged (side note it has no fluids incase I had to tear into it I wouldn't have to drain everything just wanted to see it turn over) so it went to engage but nothing turned so I put a socket on the compensating sprocket nut to turn it by hand and wouldn't budge so with the help of the starter I can hit the button and push on the ratchet to get barley a turn so after about 10 min of that i got a full turn which i was able to monitor with some straws in the spark plug holes any advise or questions please don't hesitate and sorry for the long road but without tearing in to the topend I'm stumped thanks again if you think you might know what's going on

Old 04-19-2018, 04:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Welcome. 1st allow me to introduce you to the concept of sentence structure, and punctuation.

I’d suggest removing the starter, removing the spark plugs, put it in neutral, pull in the clutch, and turn the Compensator nut.
- If the motor doesn’t turn, remove the primary chain, and try it again. If it still doesn’t turn...you got some engine binding
- if the motor turns easily in one of the options above, figure out what’s contributing to the binding...like a misaligned starter motor.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM
Jscifres68
6th Gear

Aight well you'll have to excuse my sentence structure in not trying to get in a argument over grammar I'm having a problem and needing help with my motor and again I thank anyone that can but I'm a little pissed after putting in the hours and money trying tu fix it I have the plugs out and without using the starter i can't turn the motor by hand even with it in neutral and everything but I have watched the pistons go up and down with help from the starter it's just extremely difficult I was reading something that might have to si though the valves so I'm thinking I'm just going to pull the topend off tonight

Old 04-19-2018, 04:58 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Did you try removing the starter motor as I suggested?

Old 04-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Jscifres68
6th Gear

Yea even with starter out it won't budge and the chain off

Old 04-19-2018, 05:10 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jscifres68
Yea even with starter out it won't budge and the chain off
Oh...that’s not good. Good luck with diagnosing it.

Oh wait!!! You mentioned something shorted and got hot. Maybe your stator shorted out, got toasted, got deformed, and is binding...I’m thinking that’s a better guess, based upon your sequence of events. As well it’s easier to diagnose and fix than a binding motor I’d suggest pulling the Compensator and checking out the statir.

Keep us updated.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 04-19-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Jscifres68
6th Gear

Aight i'll check it out bud and let ya know appreciate it

Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jscifres68
Aight i'll check it out bud and let ya know appreciate it
Ya might be able to smell it if it’s toasted.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Jscifres68
6th Gear

Got the stator looks fine before I took compensator nut off I tried turning it over with the starter and got a couple good turns before the battery acted like it was dead. But weird thing is I was able to break the compensator nut without holding the gear still and i know the motor usually turns over if you do this to loosen that nut so you have to jam it with something so I'm stumped as hell and frustrated thinking I'm going to have to pull the motor

Old 04-20-2018, 04:09 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Before pulling the heads or anything or the motor I would pull the cam chest cover take a look inside there have seen bearings go especially on an older TC's. How many miles... Just so you know the crank is one of the better ones HD ever had in the TC....

Quick Reply: New starter engine acts like its seized