Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

107 M8, Stage II torture

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 04:12 PM
SAFrog
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max Headflow you are so right.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:33 AM
EDIHD
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, thanks guys, the TMax has been on my radar. Maybe I'll talk to Steve at Zippers and get a bit more detail. I know the install looks pretty easy...plug and play almost.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

TMax may be a fine unit, but don’t believe the plug n play part.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 PM
SAFrog
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s isnt quite plug and play but the directions are straight forward and if you like to play around like I do it’s really easy to do. I was able to run without compression releases by removing timing till it hit 500 RPM.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 AM
EDIHD
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a further update to this adventure, and thanks for all the feedback.

had a long talk with the dealer and the shop Forman who's been tuning bikes for over 13yr's. What I suspected was true, I had thought that the first tune that got this trouble started was done by a Jr. tech who was learning the process; I get it you have to start learning at some point.... They fessed up and said they didn't check it like they should have; they apologized and have offered me a $500 credit for the cost of the tune. The other issues were some minor tweaks that needed to be done from the idle to low rpm range that was a bit richer then needed so it would throw the check engine light. I was also told that the comment about the tune and cam having to be "broke in" was a miss speak from the counter jockey and not what the tuner said. The Tuner assured me that he was committed to getting me a good tune on the bike using the TTS tuner as he was confident it was just a couple cells that may be out of whack. I stopped in and saw them on my ride back from Lake Placid and while the bike had the check engine light on, they took me immediately plugged the bike in printed the charts and showed me what he thought the issue was. Booked me an appointment for the next day and they came and picked the bike up and will return it at no cost, I'm over an hour away from the dealer.

I ask the Tuner if he was to do a Stage III kit and NOT use the HD SE Cam what would he suggest, I wanted them to recommend a cam so they can't say my cam caused any issues, I just wanted to see what he would say. As the HD dealer is a fan of the TTS product they suggested I look at what TTS has done for the Stage III kit. They are also part of the TTS dealer network so they can talk to Steve or one of the techs about any issues. I looked when I got home and TTS has done a HD Stage III kit with a TTS - 200 cam that is making 113HP and 125 Torque which in my mind is fantastic numbers, plus it was done on a bike with almost identical setup to what I currently have. So, all things being equal I told the dealer to do the Stage III and work with TTS to get it running right using their cam suggestion.

I'm going to have a gently used RS-468 cam for sale if anyone is interested, they'll be around 3000 miles on it.

Hope to have the bike back in a week, will let you know how it runs once I've put some miles on it.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EDIHD
Ya sorry Jbarr1, I posted this one around 5pm but at 10pm it hadn't shown up yet so decided to do the second one as I figured I did something wrong.

Max thank you for your feedback, the original dealer did mention the back pressure thing and said the V&H did that and that's why they recommended them. Ultimately going with SE I figured they would certainly have some back pressure, maybe too much, I just didn't want the loud drone cruising the highway.

I know from the guys who made the RS-468 cam that the timing must be changed for the cam to do it's thing, did my dealer do it.... Options for good tuners in Ontario are pretty slim, the second dealer I rode 3hr to seemed to know what they were doing and basically fixed the tune from the first dealer. TTS just released their map with the RS468 and I think these guys started with that and did some minor tweaking, I attached the STD Smoothing Dyno from them with the V&H pipes, I was perfectly happy with those numbers and curve. But then I decided to change pipes and had the original dealer, 45min from my house do it, I was thinking now that TTS has the map how bad could they mess this up...do you think they even used TTS's map? It's the bloody check engine light that comes on that's messing with my head.

At this point, could I not simply load the TTS map back into my ECM and just use the map they created? Do I need to spend the $500 and get the bike back on the Dyno...I'm going Dyno poor.
Call Don Morris at Stay-Tuned In Hamilton and talk to him.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:25 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The 107" bored to 117" with the use of that 468 RS, our Stage I Heads, and a FM 2/1/2 pipe, has shown 120 hp, and 143 ft/lbs here, all in by 3500.
A Basanni-equipped version can be viewed in the M8 section of this message board. Hp was down from the FM pipe.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record