Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Ported Heads Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:15 AM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Ported Heads Question

I have a set of mild street port heads on my 95” TC wit HQ39g cams, bored 48mm TB and Lowcat 2-1 exhaust. Been thinking about getting better flowing heads to bump power. I have attached the typical flow sheet for the heads (each set is not flow tested) and description of work done. I am wondering if I got some heads done from reputable shop with larger 1.90 intake and maybe a little bigger exhaust and recontouring of ports, will it be a noticeable bump in power on the street? Was looking at Kirby’s Stage 2 and Dan Vance raised port Stage 4 heads. Looking for increased torque, quick throttle response, and pull all the way to redline. If I was starting with a build right now, I would do the extra head work, but debating whether the power increase over what I have is worth the money. Also wondering about exhaust valve size with the HQ39 cam long exhaust duration - don’t want to overexhaust and give away power. I know no one can say for sure without seeing my current heads, but would you expect a set of stage one heads to be able to be used if additional porting is done. Current heads already have higher lift springs for the 39 cams.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:14 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I will defer to the head porters for a definitive answer if one is possible. However, unless your heads are flow tested, you don't have a baseline so you are flying blind. The numbers in your attachment are decent numbers for Stage I heads yretaining OEM valves and lapping valves in lieu of a multi-angle (SERDI) valve job. BTW, what does "full porting of intake and exhaust runners" mean?

My limited experience has taught me that once heads are ported or machined, most reputable porters won't touch them. Having said that, the only way you would know if flow can be improved would be for a porter to flow the heads on their bench first to determine if they could improve flow based on the way they port heads and then determine if it was possible to do the required work to your heads to make that improvement.

Consider selling those heads and starting from scratch with the porter of your choice. Additionally, again based on limited experience, HQ cams work best with HQ heads, so you might also consider replacing cams and bumping compression as well.JMHO.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:57 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Yes.
We have improved upon many heads, many times, as our Superflow 600, and Superflow 120, has both shown us.
258 cfm is a bold claim with a 1.800" valve, at .600" lift, and why not optimize/equalize the combustion chambers via a milling machine and cc'ing, vs the use of sandpaper on the cylinder head gasket surface?
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 02-28-2019 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:15 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

having YOUR heads flow tested after porting is very important (is here anyway) every head done here comes with a flow chart. who`s sheet is that? it dosnt mention if guides are replaced on the stage II porting or what the seats are machined with (stones,neway,SERDI??)

Old 02-28-2019, 07:38 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Stage II-up here are flow tested.
Scott

Old 02-28-2019, 09:29 AM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Thanks for replies. Bike has plenty of compression now - ccp is 205 f/r. I would rather not give name of porter - don’t want any one flaming him. These heads gave a definite low-end improvement over the previous ported larger valve heads that came with my 95” BB. Just wondering what kind of power gains to expect from a mild street port to a Stage 2 head? When I ran a FatCat with louvered baffle, I had around 98hp/105tq. What the difference between a hot rod and touring head work?

Last edited by txphatboy; 02-28-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:24 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

A touring head, ie low-end torque, will focus manufacturing power in that area, and a hot-rod head/combination, will generally produce power that is left-side, dyno report biased.
Scott

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (03-06-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 12:14 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
and a hot-rod head/combination, will generally produce power that is left-side, dyno report biased.
Can you explain what you mean by left-side? I assumed the right and left side of a dyno report was using the point where HP and torque cross (5250 rpms), and right-side would be high rpm. high HP for the hot rodders.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:28 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the feedback. I spoke to the guyt who ported my current Stage 1 heads and he said I might gain 5+ hp/tq, but did not feel it would be felt much on the street. I am going to save the money. Found a used Fat Cat and going to install that and upload old map and have it fine tuned instead. If I can get back to the 98hp/105tq and nice broad torque curve I used to have with that pipe, I am going to ride it as is and try to stop finding ways to spend money! Need to stop looking at this forum.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:38 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by txphatboy
Thanks for all the feedback. I spoke to the guyt who ported my current Stage 1 heads and he said I might gain 5+ hp/tq, but did not feel it would be felt much on the street. I am going to save the money. Found a used Fat Cat and going to install that and upload old map and have it fine tuned instead. If I can get back to the 98hp/105tq and nice broad torque curve I used to have with that pipe, I am going to ride it as is and try to stop finding ways to spend money! Need to stop looking at this forum.
even on a VERY mild 98" build,you should easily surpass 98/105,

Quick Reply: Ported Heads Question