Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Curious

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Those pipes aren't going to help low end but if you are going for sound.....

Old 05-08-2019, 06:18 PM
So_krispy414
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Yes, a cam change would require tuning. I wouldn't use HD's tuner though. On my fuel injected bike I use Power Vision. That doesn't make it the best, it's just the best for me.
So could i have someone just throw it on the dyno and tune it or do i need a actual tuner to plug into the bike. Guy i bought it off said harley had tuned it on a dyno when he had the stage one kit done and he has no tuner for the bike but my buddy had a stage one kit done on his 19 streetglide at the dealer and they gave him a tuner for it

Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by So_krispy414
So could i have someone just throw it on the dyno and tune it or do i need a actual tuner to plug into the bike. Guy i bought it off said harley had tuned it on a dyno when he had the stage one kit done and he has no tuner for the bike but my buddy had a stage one kit done on his 19 streetglide at the dealer and they gave him a tuner for it
Hardware and software are required for a proper dyno tune. Some tuners sell "licenses" for say the Power Vision so the customer does not need to buy the system; customer pays for the license, tuner tunes and provides the customer with the tune on a thumb drive. Customer will need to return to the original tuner for future modifications that require a re-tune. So that may be an option for you; if not, you will need to purchase a fuel management system. Stay away from a dealer "tune"; their track record has been less than stellar. Find a local tuner and discuss tuning options with him.

The previous owner did not get a dyno tune with the Stage I kit; he got an ECM flash which is worthless; adds a bit of fuel across the rpm range and increase the rev limit. Later models required tuning with the SEPST which the customer pays for separately from the cost of the Stage I upgrade. Dealers don't "give" tuners away.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 471 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Hardware and software are required for a proper dyno tune. Some tuners sell "licenses" for say the Power Vision so the customer does not need to buy the system; customer pays for the license, tuner tunes and provides the customer with the tune on a thumb drive. Customer will need to return to the original tuner for future modifications that require a re-tune. So that may be an option for you; if not, you will need to purchase a fuel management system. Stay away from a dealer "tune"; their track record has been less than stellar. Find a local tuner and discuss tuning options with him.

The previous owner did not get a dyno tune with the Stage I kit; he got an ECM flash which is worthless; adds a bit of fuel across the rpm range and increase the rev limit. Later models required tuning with the SEPST which the customer pays for separately from the cost of the Stage I upgrade. Dealers don't "give" tuners away.
If the person selling the license puts that on the thumb drive it can be retuned by any powervision, which should be done anyways since you paid for it and is worthless to another bike. license is just a data file specific to the bike's serial number

Old 05-09-2019, 10:27 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
If the person selling the license puts that on the thumb drive it can be retuned by any powervision, which should be done anyways since you paid for it and is worthless to another bike. license is just a data file specific to the bike's serial number
Agreed, poor choice of words. Customer does not NEED to return to the original tuner but I would return to the original tuner for many and varied reasons. Main one being, in my case, the tuner was the builder; however, you are correct to point that out.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 471 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Agreed, poor choice of words. Customer does not NEED to return to the original tuner but I would return to the original tuner for many and varied reasons. Main one being, in my case, the tuner was the builder; however, you are correct to point that out.
There is a lot of miss conception about the license program from Powervision, I think it's a good program especially for those of us with more than one bike. I do agree with you about sticking with one tuner they get to know you and your machines. However if you had to relocate or sold the bike the license is still usable.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:05 AM
So_krispy414
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Any feedback on the sns 583 cams are they comparable to the 204s. They sound alittle more agressive as far as the harley “lope” goes in the youtube vids.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:27 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by So_krispy414
Any feedback on the sns 583 cams are they comparable to the 204s. They sound alittle more agressive as far as the harley “lope” goes in the youtube vids.

we use a lot of the 583 cams for builds looking for great low end torque and they deliver when set @ 9.8-1 to 10.0-1.,that said we don't do work looking for a certain sound or idle,all our work is geared towards actual performance,