Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

TC Cam Chain upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:24 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 194 Likes on 90 Posts

The SE "hybrid Kit" also includes an upgraded oil pump. I'm running one in my 2000 FLHT with S&S 509 cams.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:10 PM
olemans85
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go with Andrews

I put the Andrews cam chain conversion in my 04 RK. Worked out great. Andrews website has a parts list to print. A 07-10 camplate & a 07- 10 oil pump are used. This pump is larger. 37N & 57N are some nice cams

Old 03-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Both cams have to have a roller chain to be a upgrade. Anything else is a down grade except for obivious. Your bike is 14 years old and why it needs new tensioners. Not because of miles. Mine has 50 on originial. Just get you a pair of replacement pads off ebay. $20. A $30 set of gaskets. Check to make sure the two inner needle bearings look good while in there. Priceless and nobrainer. You will be good for 50k or 10 years which ever comes first.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-11-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:24 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Well the OP has has 6 years to think about it.

The following users liked this post:
LXT (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:47 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Well the OP has has 6 years to think about it.
I Know & every one giving him advice on whats best...!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Both cams have to have a roller chain to be a upgrade. Anything else is a down grade except for obivious. Your bike is 14 years old and why it needs new tensioners. Not because of miles. Mine has 50 on originial. Just get you a pair of replacement pads off ebay. $20. A $30 set of gaskets. Check to make sure the two inner needle bearings look good while in there. Priceless and nobrainer. You will be good for 50k or 10 years which ever comes first.
I do agree that if tensioners go bad, replacing them with a set of CYCO shoes is a cheap and adequate repair. However, if in the cam chest and funds are available, an upgrade to the cam chest is not a bad idea and there are several options for such an upgrade.

You have posted that the SE Hybrid kit is not an upgrade because the inner chain is not roller in other threads and that is just wrong. The plate is billet, the outer chain is a roller, the tensioners are hydraulic and the oil pump capacity for flow and scavenging is improved; those features make it an upgrade over the OEM setup. Whether the upgrade is necessary or not is a subject for depate but the fact that the SE Hybrid kit is an upgrade is not.

The OEM INA bearings are adequate for stock applications but have a shaded history when matched up with performance cams. The full compliment B-148/158 bearings are cheap to replace and another "why not" item when in the cam chest, particularly if a performance cam set is being installed.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I do agree that if tensioners go bad, replacing them with a set of CYCO shoes is a cheap and adequate repair. However, if in the cam chest and funds are available, an upgrade to the cam chest is not a bad idea and there are several options for such an upgrade.

You have posted that the SE Hybrid kit is not an upgrade because the inner chain is not roller in other threads and that is just wrong. The plate is billet, the outer chain is a roller, the tensioners are hydraulic and the oil pump capacity for flow and scavenging is improved; those features make it an upgrade over the OEM setup. Whether the upgrade is necessary or not is a subject for depate but the fact that the SE Hybrid kit is an upgrade is not.

The OEM INA bearings are adequate for stock applications but have a shaded history when matched up with performance cams. The full compliment B-148/158 bearings are cheap to replace and another "why not" item when in the cam chest, particularly if a performance cam set is being installed.
It is a proven fact that without the roller chain on the inner, you still have the wear on the inner shoe. The hydraulic at 3000 rpm with 35 lb oil pressure is wearing just as much as a spring tensioner. Is less at idle but who idles a Harley.

Upgrade with 21K. see attachment. Note roller chain and link chain wear pattern with hydraulic tensioner

Sure, it is a upgrade in 99% of everything else but to me, none of that service any purpose if I had to open it up to check inner shoe in 20K

That is my opinion just based on that 20K. And you have sold me on your word for the $20 shoes..

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

Ahhh - here we go with the cyco shoes & the SE hybrid kit.

First off the hydraulic tensioners @ 3000 rpm do not have the same wear as the spring tensioners, the 35lbs you state is a floating 35lbs not a static 35lbs = big difference.

I agree go roller on both front & back end unless run out is in spec then go gears - however been down this road on this debate & there can be issues there - follow up run out checks have verified this.

the SE hybrid kit & S&S kits have the anodized billet cam plate which has had some issues. CYCO shoes = why? your going to open up the heart of the bike & put in a pair of cheap shoes to GET BY. you`ll spend $20 on 2 quarts of oil - think about it....!

Most on here will just throw in a cam set off an online "sounds" good recommendation because they have little to no engine / mechanical knowledge.

You have to "pair" up when you build, just throwing in a set of 509 cams (example) will not necessarily mean better or faster/more power - there is a recipe for a build - if you`re cam(ing) the motor you better or should at least know lift/duration, overlap - close seat pressures...etc most HD riders feel a difference at their riding RPM & think wow - I did it, but then other RPM ranges suck.

we can give all the advice we want but have your specs handy for your build & reach out to guys who REALLY know!!!!! I spec`d my motor & talked with Bob Wood at length over the proper recipe - what I originally wanted was an overbuild - but when I looked at the spec sheet I mis read a number & Bob caught it - this is what makes the difference.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:21 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
Ahhh - here we go with the cyco shoes & the SE hybrid kit.

First off the hydraulic tensioners @ 3000 rpm do not have the same wear as the spring tensioners, the 35lbs you state is a floating 35lbs not a static 35lbs = big difference.

I agree go roller on both front & back end unless run out is in spec then go gears - however been down this road on this debate & there can be issues there - follow up run out checks have verified this.

the SE hybrid kit & S&S kits have the anodized billet cam plate which has had some issues. CYCO shoes = why? your going to open up the heart of the bike & put in a pair of cheap shoes to GET BY. you`ll spend $20 on 2 quarts of oil - think about it....!

Most on here will just throw in a cam set off an online "sounds" good recommendation because they have little to no engine / mechanical knowledge.

You have to "pair" up when you build, just throwing in a set of 509 cams (example) will not necessarily mean better or faster/more power - there is a recipe for a build - if you`re cam(ing) the motor you better or should at least know lift/duration, overlap - close seat pressures...etc most HD riders feel a difference at their riding RPM & think wow - I did it, but then other RPM ranges suck.

we can give all the advice we want but have your specs handy for your build & reach out to guys who REALLY know!!!!! I spec`d my motor & talked with Bob Wood at length over the proper recipe - what I originally wanted was an overbuild - but when I looked at the spec sheet I mis read a number & Bob caught it - this is what makes the difference.
Can't let this one go without comment.

SE Hybrid kit allows the owner more cam choice and it is an upgrade regardless of what Ripsaw thinks; no need to tear into the cam chest to check inner tensioner wear every 10K miles. SE Hybrid vs SE '07 up vs gears; dealer's choice IMHO.

CYCO shoes are cheaper than OEM shoes but that does not make them "cheap" replacements. The shoe material has been improved since first introduced; good quality and there have been no reports of premature wear or failure.

Throwing a set of 509 cams in a stock or Stage I TC88 will mean better performance, so let's not conflate cam only upgrades with builds that include head work, more displacement, cams, exhaust etc. where matching of components does come into play.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Skofflaw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased an 06 RK with only 7k miles. The bike is practically new and appears to be very well maintained. New to HD and new to this forum, the subject of this TC 88 cam chain tensioner has brought me to this site. I am hoping to find the best solution to making my RK bullit proof. I'm looking for a cost effective (not cheap) upgrade whether that would be changing the shoes, or installing gear driven cams. Key word here is upgrade. I'll do my own work.

Quick Reply: TC Cam Chain upgrade