Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

TC Cam Chain upgrade

Old 03-15-2017, 07:06 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

The only thing I'll add is if you go with gear drive you'll have to check your crank run-out specs. I went with SE kit on my 02 Fatboy.

Last edited by HDmikie; 03-16-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Skofflaw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the outcome if runout degrades AFTER geared cams are installed? In other words if runout is less than .003 does it remain there?

Old 03-16-2017, 06:54 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Way back up in my one of my post, the only reason I mentioned cuco shoe was the cheap fix but just like Harleys shoe, it needs checked at 20k to see how your ridding style is wearing it. Then go from there. However, I have yet to ever see a post on this formum that a person who changed it himself and monitor it who said it lasted any longer. To me, 50 k or 10 years is good for a $50 repair. And 10-20hp is not worth $1000 repair. However I never use all the throttle I have. To me that is no fun. That is the only reason I say what I say.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jackie Paper:
Campy Roadie (03-16-2017), Skofflaw (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
Clearly - you have suggested CYCO shoes several times = certainly not costly, nor a good choice
A bolt in cam is a unicorn? WTF does that mean? What's a "long term wrench" anyway? A tech with long arms? Or is it a tech that uses big/long words? A Continuing the discussion would be a waste of my time, so adios for now. I am sure I will find something to comment on in one of your future posts; lot's of material to work with.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:32 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
A bolt in cam is a unicorn? WTF does that mean? What's a "long term wrench" anyway? A tech with long arms? Or is it a tech that uses big/long words? A Continuing the discussion would be a waste of my time, so adios for now. I am sure I will find something to comment on in one of your future posts; lot's of material to work with.
djl,

I was going to reply in a similar way back - BUT..... Ya know what, I guess having done many builds, repairs, etc. & sitting through many classes on "engine" theory & at 48 still learning - I get a little bummed when people make suggestions that don't encompass the entire process correctly.

I will now be humble & say sorry - sorry that 25+ years of seeing people try things on their bikes & cars/Trucks that they were told would be best without the other steps to get to the point they want to be at & wasting tons of money only to pay more to have me or another fix it.

The Unicorn comment was meant as an analogy in regard to a CAM being a "fix all" to gain HP, when a proper tune & pipes for the most part would do the average joe pretty well

Long term wrench = a mechanic with many years (10+) under their belt who have worked in many fields from car to truck to bike & even diesel, etc..

So while many talk about cylinder head volume - I'm the guy that figures it out along with the other numbers needed to build it "right" - so again Sorry - just passionate about building & not wanting to see people led astray & wasting their hard earned cash.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
djl,
So while many talk about cylinder head volume - I'm the guy that figures it out along with the other numbers needed to build it "right" - so again Sorry - just passionate about building & not wanting to see people led astray & wasting their hard earned cash.
Pardon my sarcasm in my last reply but I couldn't help myself. I also am the guy that has "figured it out" for several others, including some members of this forum. We have reached agreement on your last point. There is a lot of misinformation floating around on this and other forums and I too try to keep it real for the unknowing.:icon_wink