Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

New Evo Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 AM
96 fatboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Evo Engine

Just got stung by the INA Cam bearing syndrome.
Its on a 1996 Fatboy. Had the bike for 8 years bought it with 11487km. Now has 60,000 km (37,000 mi ). In to the dealer shop for repair. Traditional have to split the casing to check for metal fragments. Dealer phones to say crank pin is on its way out. Has tight spot on rotation that will gradually get worse. Total cost to repair is about $4,500. Includes new S3 cam, b138 bearing, rings etc. With the crank pin problem its more. Much more. So decided on a new engine. Engine is $4800 Canadian. Install plus accessory parts makes it about $7,000 Canadian. The rebuild program is not in effect in Canada anymore. Besides the freight and rebuild is as much as a new engine. I am told the "NEW " engine is a 1999 1340 EVO. The dealer assures me it will have the INA bearing in it as well. I am going to get the dealer to change the stock cam out and the bearing. Install the S3 cam and B138 bearing. My question is: The PLASTIC oil breather gear. Is it wise to switch it as well and go with the metal gear?

Old 07-05-2014, 03:23 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see good used moters around for 1000 $

Old 07-05-2014, 04:36 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

I like the plastic breather gear. It is designed to be the weak link and protects the rest of the motor by self destructing if something goes wrong in the cam chest.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I like the plastic breather gear. It is designed to be the weak link and protects the rest of the motor by self destructing if something goes wrong in the cam chest.

Exactly!

Old 07-05-2014, 07:53 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member

Why don't u call hillside? This guy could rebuild that moter for way cheaper. It's a 3hr ride it's well better off. I would guess a rebuild on a Stock Evo be around 2000$...a new moter is insane... And ur warranty is shot once u have new cams put in a new harley moter with 0 miles

Old 07-05-2014, 08:39 AM
96 fatboy
6th Gear

I hear what you are saying, and I whole heartedly agree. However, we are talking Canada here. The availability of used engines or knowing where/if they exist is not as prevalent as U.S. The area I live in is not metropolis so I can't just open the phone book and run my finger down to used Harley parts. The freight charges coming from the states is horrendous. I do not want to buy somebody else's problems anyways. Trust me, I have given thought to this and apart from being peed at MoCo for not admitting to inferior parts being used, such as INA, the best I can do is try and break even after the dust settles. Good point on the warranty with cam change. That idea would have been for better resale but like you say, the warranty is NG so that screws that. As it is the bike is useless the way it is so hence the new motor. Insane? Yes maybe, but I am not one for parting stuff out, life is too short for and I am too old.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:41 AM
96 fatboy
6th Gear

Thanks for that, To everything there is a reason.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:04 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member

Can't u drive to the US? There new moters for 3000$ revtec sells brand new ones for 3000$

Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

what????? WAY wrong here!! the plastic breathers were in the motors because their way cheaper to manufacture and actually score the breather cavity & are notorious for being out of round thus not providing a good seal and cause sumping.replace with a steel unit

Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 AM
96 fatboy
6th Gear
Default New Evo Engine

Originally Posted by magnum629c
Can't u drive to the US? There new moters for 3000$ revtec sells brand new ones for 3000$
Lots of negative info in HD forum on Korean Revtech.
I live in central British Columbia. The distance to the US is not a drive down the street. $3000 US =$3200 Cdn. plus fuel there and back pus motel. Having the dealer install an HD motor I can get them to go for a full 2 seasons of riding warranty. We usually ride from May to September. The dealer said the warranty would be for a year and I told him that's no good because the bike sits for 6 months while the clock is ticking. He agreed to go for 2 seasons. If I don't keep the bike, the warranty goes with it to the new owner. I will in all likelihood break even if I sell it. If I keep it, then I suppose its as if I got another bike, which I would have had to put out money to buy because Harleys are priced way higher here than in US. Here is a website to compare http://classifieds.castanet.net/sear...=Go&id_cat=308. The assurance of having dependence in an engine to get you home instead of sitting on the roadside costs alotta.

Quick Reply: New Evo Engine