Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

cold start hell help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 AM
02 heritage
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold start hell help!!!!!

On the first start of the day my 02 heritage sputters and backfires thru the exhaust. I put new plugs in and new air filter, also had it checked for intake leaks there were none. It only does this for a short time then is fine all dsy even if it sits for 3-4 hours. Please help me figure this out

Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 196 Likes on 126 Posts

After my HD dealer installed the Stage 4 race kit on my 2014 Breakout, I too had problems right after each FIRST (only) cold start of the day.

The bike would start right away, but the rpm would "hunt" for a couple of minutes, and the bike had to be nursed to keep it from stalling.

Then an expert tuner, Mike Lozano, who happens to have his shop near where I live, did his tune on the bike. TOTALLY resolved the problem.

In looking at the Power Vision software afterwards, I could see he changed the percent enrichment versus ambient outdoor temperature, for almost all the cells in that table.

Now, instant start, and instant stable rpm and instant drivability.

Get a GOOD tuner to tune that problem out.

Edit: Sorry, I did not ask if your bike is fuel injected or not - I assumed it was. If not, disregard what I said.
Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 08-12-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:58 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

First of all did this just occur on it's own or did it start happening after a part was added or ? Second of all is this bike carburated or fuel injected? Thirdly what, if any, modifications from stock have been performed?

Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 AM
02 heritage
6th Gear

New air filter and plugs put in. No other changes. Before the filter and plugs it had a slight hiccup at cold temps in am or night. That stopped now I have this. It is carbureted

Last edited by 02 heritage; 08-13-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Are you using the choke/enricher during this time? Sounds like it's ok after it warms up.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 PM
02 heritage
6th Gear

Yes it is good when warmed up . I ran seafoam thru it and tried shutting petcock off .it started and ran great right away this morning. Dont know why just happy about it!!#

Old 08-17-2014, 10:15 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
After my HD dealer installed the Stage 4 race kit on my 2014 Breakout, I too had problems right after each FIRST (only) cold start of the day.

The bike would start right away, but the rpm would "hunt" for a couple of minutes, and the bike had to be nursed to keep it from stalling.

Then an expert tuner, Mike Lozano, who happens to have his shop near where I live, did his tune on the bike. TOTALLY resolved the problem.

In looking at the Power Vision software afterwards, I could see he changed the percent enrichment versus ambient outdoor temperature, for almost all the cells in that table.

Now, instant start, and instant stable rpm and instant drivability.

Get a GOOD tuner to tune that problem out.

Edit: Sorry, I did not ask if your bike is fuel injected or not - I assumed it was. If not, disregard what I said.
Jim G
can you tell me how much he changed the % enrichment? like where it started and where it was finally set? i'm having a similar issue where it starts fine, then at as it approaches 100 degrees it will start having sputtering issues and i have to be on the throttle a little to keep it going. after a few moments, it will idle fine, but it seems to be in certain temp ranges.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:18 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 196 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
can you tell me how much he changed the % enrichment? like where it started and where it was finally set? i'm having a similar issue where it starts fine, then at as it approaches 100 degrees it will start having sputtering issues and i have to be on the throttle a little to keep it going. after a few moments, it will idle fine, but it seems to be in certain temp ranges.
I'm sorry but since I lost my job, I no longer have access to a Windows computer so cannot fire up the PV software to check the tables ( my wife and I use Mac machines).

Jim G

Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 PM
02 heritage
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 02 heritage
On the first start of the day my 02 heritage sputters and backfires thru the exhaust. I put new plugs in and new air filter, also had it checked for intake leaks there were none. It only does this for a short time then is fine all dsy even if it sits for 3-4 hours. Please help me figure this out
Turns out it was ignition module good as new now woohoo