EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Where's this shim go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default Where's this shim go?

In the course of installing my new stator, as I was pulling the comp/chain/hub out, this thing fell out.

From where it fell, it was almost certainly on the clutch side. And I'm also pretty certain it came from behind the hub. I guess when I've taken the hub off before, it stayed behind.

Anyway, the thing that has me wondering is that it's a weird size if it's a shim for the hub. The ID is right around 1.125", which makes is pretty big to sit on the 1" OD shaft. It's thin (about 0.01").

Any ideas?

On a related note, I've read lots of stories about how getting the stator plug through the case is a headache. Mine couldn't have gone in any easier. I've got a pair of longazz needle nose pliers, and using those it just slid right through. Snug, but went in fine. On the other hand, I had the Devil's own time getting the little retainer clip screwed back in. Good grief!

Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

A serious candidate has to be the 'spacer' which goes behind the extension shaft, inboard of the compensator sprocket, which comes in an optional thickness of .010".

Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
A serious candidate has to be the 'spacer' which goes behind the extension shaft, inboard of the compensator sprocket, which comes in an optional thickness of .010".
On the comp side, I've got the thick spacer (beefy thing, didn't measure it, but must be something like 0.200") as well as two thin (0.010" ish) shims. I'll look more closely, but I think the one in question is a different size (ID and OD) than the comp spacers.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

When I had my stator out, there were several shims between the rotor and the compensator to adjust the primary chain line. Could that be one of them? In my case, I found the rotor had been rubbing on the stator plug retaining clamp, so when I reassembled the rotor/compensator, I moved one of the spacers to the inside of the rotor to give the rotor a bit more clearance.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Red face

Frustrating! There is also a 'spacer' shown on the alternator, outboard of the rotor assembly, hence inboard of the comp, also one on the inside of the rotor, with a different part number. Somewhere.....

Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

One other thing to note: Whatever shims/spacers I had behind the rotor are not in play here. They (obviously) did not come out when I pulled the chain, and I just left them in place as I replaced the stator.

No evidence that my rotor was rubbing anywhere, so that's good.

As I said earlier, I'll need to double check this when I get home, but I'm quite sure that the shim in question is not the same size as the shims behind the compensator.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,835 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Go to Ronnies, look at 1991 ultra,(because '90 is not on Ronnies)
Go to belts and sprockets, #8 is the shim, could have more than one, it goes on after the big washer, pictured in electrical alternator w/ regulator.

Go to page 6-3 in your service manual, sprocket alignment.

The following users liked this post:
0maha (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Go to Ronnies, look at 1991 ultra,(because '90 is not on Ronnies)
Go to belts and sprockets, #8 is the shim, could have more than one, it goes on after the big washer, pictured in electrical alternator w/ regulator.

Go to page 6-3 in your service manual, sprocket alignment.
That gets to the part of this where my imagination is running away with me a bit.

Breaking this down into two sections (First, the comp side, then the clutch side):

On the compensator side, when I look at this diagram:

I see the #8 shim. My bike has three shims there. One thick, two that are thin.

Then I look at this diagram:

And wonder what Part #14 is supposed to be. The part number for #14:

Does not correspond to any of the part numbers for #8:

Which leads me to conclude that the thick spacer I have is my #14, and the thin ones are two #8's stacked together.

And in all of this, I can't find any diagram anywhere that shows a shim behind the clutch basket.

Which has me wondering if the shim that fell out (the one that I am all but certain was on the clutch side of things and which does not fit well on the shaft) was a hack that some prior owner or mechanic added for whatever reason.

Last edited by 0maha; 03-20-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,835 Likes on 1,769 Posts

#14 is a snap ring for the clutch hub behind the clutch bearing #16, if that .010 shim came off the clutch anywhere, it doesn't belong there.

My guess is that shim was probably stuck to the compensator when it was removed.

Is that shim the same od and id as the two .010" shims?

Check sprocket alignment.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Schex3x
#14 is a snap ring for the clutch hub behind the clutch bearing #16,
This gets confusing. I was referring to the #14 in the charging system diagram, not the #14 in the clutch diagram.

if that .010 shim came off the clutch anywhere, it doesn't belong there.
That's what I was thinking. It just seems "wrong".

My guess is that shim was probably stuck to the compensator when it was removed.

Is that shim the same od and id as the two .010" shims?
There were two shims stuck to the compensator. This isn't one of those. I'll double check the dimensions tonight, but at first glance, the mystery shim is a different size.

Check sprocket alignment.
Definitely.

Quick Reply: Where's this shim go?