EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1997 ultra glide lowering question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Baggerchick
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1997 ultra glide lowering question.

I have a 1997 electra glide ultra and I absolutely love this bike. I sent my seat into mean city and had them drop me an inch and move me forward an inch. I also had it dropped an inch in the rear shocks. I sit flat footed with a decent bend to my knees but feel another inch would be better. My question is has anyone done this, hows the ride and what shocks are the best for this for ride quality.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

The best thing you can do IMHO is buy yourself a pair of thick-soled or higher heeled riding boots. Most of the lowering things people do compromise the bike in some way, such as reduced ride comfort or poorer cornering clearance. You've already done more than enough to your bike, so make your legs a little longer!

Old 08-10-2018, 05:20 PM
bentparts
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

Dropping another inch in the rear shocks will leave you with 1 inch of suspension travel in the back, ride will be pretty stiff. It will also change the steering geometry but that may not be too big a deal. You could try adding a set of lowering blocks to your swingarm but most will cause your shocks to interfere with the bags. I agree with grbrown, thicker soled boots.

Last edited by bentparts; 08-10-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

No no no! Do not use lowering blocks. They have been known to crack the swingarm. Bad juju.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 853 Posts

1" shock drop will live if you don't run heavy, more drop with lowering brackets will put the tire in the fender plus it isn't recommended to run them with pre 1999 bagger swing arm. Been running 1" drop Progressives for around 8 years and the ride isn't the best due to a heavy spring, shorter shock travel, learned to live with it. Been recently starting to look at some custom built Ohlins to get the low stance and a better ride, it is possible but takes some coin.

Something to check out is Street Glide 12" take offs, many many 12" air shocks out there, some of the new adjustable shocks are available taken off Street Glides offering a low budget lowering set up. Then goes up with entry level Progressives, better Progressives and Ohlins, 12" shocks can work, just hard to blend running loaded and running single out of the same 12" shock.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Talking

Lady riders get it easier than us chaps, when it comes to reaching for the ground!

Old 08-11-2018, 06:45 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I had a 2009 RK before the Electra Glide I have now. The seat height on the Electra Glide is approximately 3 in shorter than the RK was and I ground the bottom of the boards on the RK a fair amount and it was stock height. With the Electra Glide I take the lower stance into account and adjust my riding style to suit. The lower you go the more risk there is of grinding your boards off or possibly wiping out if you're an aggressive rider.

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Baggerchick
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank u for all the tips, I am 5'7 at 130 so I doubt ride quality as far as bumps go would be to bad with lowering a little more. Dont aggressively ride either. Thinking I will try the boots first and look into progressive as mention. The boots I have are hd but not thick soled or high. Having the lowered center of gravity would help me with control at slow speeds and stops. I dont need much more lowering.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:11 PM
bentparts
Tourer
Default lowering shocks

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
1" shock drop will live if you don't run heavy, more drop with lowering brackets will put the tire in the fender plus it isn't recommended to run them with pre 1999 bagger swing arm. Been running 1" drop Progressives for around 8 years and the ride isn't the best due to a heavy spring, shorter shock travel, learned to live with it. Been recently starting to look at some custom built Ohlins to get the low stance and a better ride, it is possible but takes some coin.

Something to check out is Street Glide 12" take offs, many many 12" air shocks out there, some of the new adjustable shocks are available taken off Street Glides offering a low budget lowering set up. Then goes up with entry level Progressives, better Progressives and Ohlins, 12" shocks can work, just hard to blend running loaded and running single out of the same 12" shock.
I believe she said it's already been swapped over to the 1 " lower shocks. Another inch will basically give her 1 " of travel. Might as well be a rigid.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:13 PM
bentparts
Tourer
Default Floor boards

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
I had a 2009 RK before the Electra Glide I have now. The seat height on the Electra Glide is approximately 3 in shorter than the RK was and I ground the bottom of the boards on the RK a fair amount and it was stock height. With the Electra Glide I take the lower stance into account and adjust my riding style to suit. The lower you go the more risk there is of grinding your boards off or possibly wiping out if you're an aggressive rider.
It's when your into grinding the mounts down it can get scary. They don't fold like the boards.

Quick Reply: 1997 ultra glide lowering question.