EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Brembo retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brembo retrofit

I'm sure its been answered here somewhere, but I cant find it.. Will the newer Brembo front calipers fit '00 lowers?? And do they require Brembo rotors or will standard '00 rotors work?? Trying to get my shopping list together for winter!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

funnnnnny you should ax. hahahaha

I already bought the two rotors and will be buying the Fab Kevin brackets to replace them. They SHOULD, yup only should, fit the 11.5 in rotors. The Taiwan Ted brackets will need to be upgraded to the 300mm or 11.8" rotors.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tee⋁11982441
funnnnnny you should ax. hahahaha

I already bought the two rotors and will be buying the Fab Kevin brackets to replace them. They SHOULD, yup only should, fit the 11.5 in rotors. The Taiwan Ted brackets will need to be upgraded to the 300mm or 11.8" rotors.
I figured someone had "been there-done that" and I'd find the answer in a search, but no luck.. I'm sure someone will have the answer for us. If not, I'm anxious to see how it works out for you.. I already have a couple extra set's of lowers. Realized after posting, they are actually '06 I think(need to look for sure). So, I'm really planning on a wheel, 1" axle, rotors and calipers for the Ultra.. I didn't realize the .3" difference in rotor, but everything I have seen show's that the lowers didn't change, so I'm expecting the calipers to be clocked differently to fit those rotors.. Thanks for the info..

Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

yes the clocking position does change and i have a pic somewhere of it. but in the meantime search Zimm. he is active in this very forum as of Nov 2013. zimm has a 4-pot tokico on his sled now, very nice looking setup.
i do believe that 11.5" will 'work' but you gotta remember youre talking about yours and your passenger's life plus anything gruesome that could result in the splendid aftermath. that is over 5/8 of an inch just in rotor + caliper height youre not in contact with which overall sounds like little but in fact would be huge in percentages considering the width of the caliper too.
if all goes to hell youre talking about $65 per rotor from the hospital bed. dohhhh

Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

HGM,

my math is .3 inches times two rotors.

Andy from Hogpro has done the conversion by the way... it's in the dyna section.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:15 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

I'll definitely check it out. Point well taken, but I really don't intend to cut any corners, just curious what the difference was.. On the math, since its actually overall diameter, I'm figuring, .3" would really be only .150" at the caliper(close to 1/8" overhang).. Not much of a difference at all, but if the caliper is designed to run on the 11.8", it would promote poor pad life and wear that would actually inhibit application once the pads start to touch.. Not good, I agree.. Good discussion point..

Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 PM
MCCHP
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Lowers off of what model? on touring models the lowers are all the same from 00-2013. the brembo cals will work on them however you will have to use the rotors off of 08 and up because they are a larger diameter.If you have a earlier 99 back you can install newer lowers on your tubes they are 41mm as well.

Last edited by MCCHP; 11-14-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MCCHP
Lowers off of what model? on touring models the lowers are all the same from 00-2013. the brembo cals will work on them however you will have to use the rotors off of 08 and up because they are a larger diameter.If you have a earlier 99 back you can install newer lowers on your tubes they are 41mm as well.
Awesome, that's actually the exact info I needed.. The lowers I have are FLH, I thought I read somewhere that they were all the same '00-up, but I put '00s on my Dyna and they were 3/4", so apparently they are different between models..

One more question you may be able to answer, any wheel issues you can think of?? I'm planning these lowers, Brembo's and possibly '06 FLHT 9 spoke wheel.. Sound like it will work or would I need an '08-up wheel with the rotors?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

So, related question... I think I've found a '14 wheel that will fit the Brembo's I've found and I'm now wondering how I'm going to drive my speedo.. I'm assuming I can drill a hole, but the axle diameter is incorrect as well.. Anyone found a solution?

Old 11-19-2013, 05:27 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,552 Likes on 2,882 Posts

they make a rear wheel drive spedo kit for special forks

Quick Reply: Brembo retrofit