Looking for saddlebags for 1998 FXSTC

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 AM
crazymjb
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for saddlebags for 1998 FXSTC

Hi all,

Title pretty much says it all. With spring around the corner (hopefully) I am looking to get some saddlebags for the bike. I am looking towards the cheaper side as they will not be on all the time.

I am leaning towards the viking warriors (large) and either their quick disconnects, or the ones from Ghost Brackets (look to be about the same). I have heard about spotty customer service, but it does seem like they make a quality bag.

The discos: http://www.vikingbags.com/quick-disc...ey-softail.htm

The bags:
http://www.vikingbags.com/harley-sof...-9399-prd1.htm

The bike:

It looks like I may need new turn indicators as well to clear the bags?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys

Mike

Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 203 Likes on 165 Posts

Sounds like you've got your mind made up. My thoughts are you will get exactly your money's worth out of them. If they will be on the bike for one weekend a year, I'm sure they'll work perfectly. I have QR bags from LeatherPros. They are expensive and they'll last forever. They don't squeak or rattle when they're empty, they lock and the change from on to off is about 5 seconds and vice versa. I'm giving you my thoughts because I bought cheap bags thinking I'd use them sparingly. I threw them away after about a month. I didn't even try to give them away because they were so useless. That's my .02, for what it's worth.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 AM
crazymjb
Cruiser

Thanks.

Im familiar with buy once cry once. We are talking about a 400% price difference though, and thats steep for something I'm not sure how often I will use.

From what I have read, the viking bags specifically seem to be decent for the money, IE not ebay bags. I understand I am not getting the quality that comes with the bags you mentioned, but I am curious as to whether or not these bags will be functional.

Mike

Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 203 Likes on 165 Posts

I've never heard "buy once cry once". I like it. Great looking bike. I'm sure whatever you put on will be functional. Tie a pillow case on to the license plate and it will be functional for a while. =) Good luck.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,319 Likes on 1,947 Posts

I've had those quick disconnect brackets on my bike for the last couple of years.

For some reason the locking tab gets bent up sometimes and you have to bend it back down with a screwdriver before you can get it off but other than that they work fine.

I don't know anything about those bags though.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 AM
crazymjb
Cruiser

Thanks...

Well Ive been doing more reading. I guess the bags are marine vinyl, not real leather... which is fine with me. I've found a handful of reviews on this site from people who have owmed them months to a couple years, and they seem happy. They have a decent sale going, so Illeasure the bike today and place an order. Ill do a write up and let you guys know how it goes.

So what do you think, medium or large? Im leaning towards large.

Mike

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The thing about bags is they must open, close and lock easy. If not you won't use them. Have you looked at LeatherLyke?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:21 AM
crazymjb
Cruiser

These seem to lock easily with a little luggage combo lock...

Most of my riding is commuting from one secure space to another, however.

Ill try to find some vids when I get home.

Mike

Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Rick77
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of used Fox Creek large leather bags mounted with Easy Brackets on ebay for less than $200 a couple of years ago. I have a 07 FXST. Off and on in about 5 min.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:35 AM
huddy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am selling my edgeleather.com quick disconnect saddlebags. These bags are great and in fantastic shape. All hardware included. Off my 97 fxstsb. Pm if your interested

Attached Thumbnails Looking for saddlebags for 1998 FXSTC-image-879550156.jpg   Looking for saddlebags for 1998 FXSTC-image-3287863102.jpg   Looking for saddlebags for 1998 FXSTC-image-1112859741.jpg  

Quick Reply: Looking for saddlebags for 1998 FXSTC