Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Real Difference in Duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:14 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Real Difference in Duals

Hey guys, I have search not only here but many other sites and read more reviews on true duals than I care to remember. One thing I can't seem to figure out though, most duals I have looked at are the same diameter as the factor head pipes on my 07 FLHTCU, some pipes have slightly better reviews than others but they all have the same "you loose low end torque" concern. I am not very concerned with performance and I do like the sound of duals.
Anyway, with all this said, I looked at the fullsac conversion as they do not offer the X pipe for the 07 and I can't seem to figure out what real difference there would be between going with that or lets say the Cobra true duals. Some will say the looks of fullsac is a major drawback but I think that is easy to deal with. Is exhaust leak a real concern with the conversion because of extra joints in the system?, is performance really that different between the two options?
Thanks for any advise, I am 99% sure I am going duals, knowing 2 into 1 is better for performance but as I said earlier, not that concerned with minimum low end torque loss.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:51 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,245 Likes on 3,623 Posts

I like the sound iif true duals, On baggers they have a tendency to kill low end torque. Rhinehart's or even VnH with mufflers that have smaller baffles will do OK and you get the nice stereo sound. With a W777 cam I'd go with Kromewerks / SnS 2-1-2 head pipe. They give a nice power band but don't have the stereo sound of TDs.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:07 AM
DaleMc0622
Tourer

Thanks Max, I have been looking at some 2 into 1 systems but I love the sound of duals. I will check those heads out. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
On baggers they have a tendency to kill low end torque.
They have that tendency on any model. They are in essence drag pipes, which can give good to-end power, but as you say, not so hot in the low/mid rev range.

On my own Glide I have used TDs and a 2-into-1, had both dyno set-up and got very similar headline numbers, but the torque curves were significantly different where most of us ride, in addition the 2-into-1 provides a much smoother ride.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,245 Likes on 3,623 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
They have that tendency on any model. They are in essence drag pipes, which can give good to-end power, but as you say, not so hot in the low/mid rev range.

On my own Glide I have used TDs and a 2-into-1, had both dyno set-up and got very similar headline numbers, but the torque curves were significantly different where most of us ride, in addition the 2-into-1 provides a much smoother ride.
Not really.. On most baggers yes.. A good set of staggered duals on softail or dyna can work great. Hard to find a good set tho.. KW ARIIIs / AR100s and Cycle Shacks duals were some of the better ones. Both are discontinued.. Many HD owners forget that there are other big twin HDs out here besides baggers.

The following users liked this post:
7Dynamic9 (05-03-2023)
Old 07-28-2018, 04:45 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I've had the Fulsac duals on my 07 for about 25k miles and love them........no issues at all with them!!
(Except the missing low end torque)

Old 07-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Maintenance is easier with true duals!

Old 07-28-2018, 05:29 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

My left header pipe broke at the 90 degree bend behind the rear cylinder at approx 22K miles. So I took the bike to a local indy shop to see if it could be welded. The guy said the break was too jagged to weld and asked if I had around 22K miles on it to which I replied yes. Then he said that's about where the factory pipes break. The rubber mounted engine and the rear header pipe's rigid clamp to the frame at that bend is just a recipe for breakage.
He suggested I not put an OEM type header pipe on the RKC, since it would eventually happen again, and instead go with true duals. So we discussed options, all of which were about the same cost, and I went with Bassani true duals, only because I already had Bassani slip on slash cut mufflers and figured I'd match the headers to the mufflers. A week later, with the Bassani headers on the bike, the difference was night and day.
The bike ran smoother, accelerated great, sounded great, and if there was any decrease in low end torque I couldn't notice it. No, I've never had the bike on a dyno or tested the engine performance technically but I knew from just riding and making physical contact with it that it ran better.
Eventually I replaced the slash cut mufflers with Bassani fish tails. And I couldn't be happier with the results across the board...performance, sound, looks, it's all good. I went with the baffled tails, after much deliberation, and am glad I did. They're plenty loud but not obnoxious.

Last edited by duoglider; 07-28-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:32 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
I've had the Fulsac duals on my 07 for about 25k miles and love them........no issues at all with them!!
(Except the missing low end torque)
Is the loos of low end very noticeable or is it mostly seen on a Dyno. Most people have told me that "seat of the pants" difference is either barley noticeable if at all.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:56 AM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Not really.. On most baggers yes.. A good set of staggered duals on softail or dyna can work great. Hard to find a good set tho.. KW ARIIIs / AR100s and Cycle Shacks duals were some of the better ones. Both are discontinued.. Many HD owners forget that there are other big twin HDs out here besides baggers.
That makes little sense as they all are affected the same by exhaust configuration. True duals can work great on a bagger/touring as well, BUT, there is a flatter torque curve in a good 2:1 pipe every day of the week. Many Harley stock pipes Dyna/Softail had a crossover pipe in them. That was done not for the EPA or for anything other than making the bike better to ride. Flatter torque curve for better low/mid torque. Just putting the engine in a different frame doesn't change how it is influenced by exhaust configuration.

Quick Reply: Real Difference in Duals