Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Small oil Leak around the head, where is it coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Toddtvl
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you solve the Oil Leak from the Rocker Box?

I just searched for this today. I have a Fatboy with Screaming Eagle Bore kit, breather tube and the rebuilders put those blue de-compression push-down valves before starting it. I now have the identical issue. If I took a photo, it would be like yours. The Harley shop said it's just rocker box, and it's going to cost X hours, and that's it. Did you determine if this was your issue too?

I will continue reading the posts, but I suspect we have a similar issue. I just hope it's not something more serious, like warping.

I am going to get my bike on the road again in April, so I will find out in a few weeks what the real issue is, in case I don't hear back from anyone.

Kind regards,

Todd

ps., this is my bike, when it's clean and no oil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juY3VEi5qQI

Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Once your rocker box gaskets start to leak,replace them.Tightening won't help.Replace all the gaskets ,not just the top one.I've had to do it on my ole 92 and again on my 98.I did NOT have to remove the gas tank but I did raise one end so that I had room.Do one at a time so you remember how everything goes,like the butterfly pieces.Use good gaskets...I used Cometic both times and no problems.(the harley ones sure looked like junk!)They make a thin ratchet type allen to get to the bolts or you can cut one down to get in there.
I know when the "middle" section came out,you have to leave a couple of the bolts in there and remove along with the center section cause the bolts are too long to clear.Here it helps if ya have an extra set of hands.When you do the bottom section,pull your spark plug,rotate the rear wheel and get the piston down so there's no load on the rocker arm.Clean real well and don't get scrapings and dirt down in the motor.
It's not a hard job at all,just a little time consuming.
If you can find one of those allen ratchets,like from JP Cycles,their nice to have and not real expensive. You'll need some Locktite as well.
You can ride it that way,maybe for a long time but it does start to get a little messy.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:31 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain
Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Found this as well on Ebay : 300539390854

Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a service manual first.

Before doing anything else make sure this leak isn't actually coming from the seam between the two chromed top parts. One is the lower rocker box cover and the top one is just the top cover. If this gasket is leaking I would snug the bolts up there first and see if that stops the leak. Small hand wrench, not too tight.

If this isn't the leak --Get a Service Manual.

Not hard to do but this does get into the Rocker Support area.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like others have said reseal the rocker boxes. Do both while you are there, not that much more work

Old 08-13-2017, 04:53 PM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry, resurrecting old thread but need some more info.
Just developed same issue, my question is, short of removing head and getting it hot tanked to clean up the oil residue, is there any good degreasers out there that can remove the muck?
Engine colour is silver.