Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fuel Additive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Additive?

I'm curious how many people use fuel additive(s), what kind and why. This includes conditioners, cleaners, octane boosters... whatever.

Steve

Old 12-20-2008, 03:06 AM
italfatboy
Cruiser

Never used them, and never will.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:50 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by italfatboy
Same here.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:46 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Dont use any but I do use only Chevron Supreme which has techron which is an excellent injector cleaner.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:07 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,670 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I've run a lot of different junk thru my bikes over the years just for giggles and of course lead substitute in my old stuff. That stuff turns the upper cylinders area white and I can't attest as to whether it added longevity to the engines.

Without sitting here and writing a mini-novel, one thing to remember is that no matter what you add, it WILL degrade the fuel mileage. Yes, even octane booster. Reason being, they are all thin liquid and reduce the specific gravity of gasoline. Not only that, when you factor in the cost of the additive, you'll see it raises the price-per -gallon to an alarming cost.

I have experimented with adding tiny amounts of various oils... Marvel Mystry Oil, two-stroke oil, and even diesel fuel in an effort to extend fuel mileage and study the effect of increased upper cylinder lubrication.

Bad as I hate to admit it, the only thing I ever used that instantly seemed to have a positive effect on the entire gambit of fuel issues is the HD fuel additive that comes in tiny bottles at the dealer. I never bought any, but have been given some off and on over the years and it truly seems to make a difference...

One more thing - my current ride was parked 8 years, but I put fuel stabilizer in it and drained and refilled every 2 years. When I started riding again and after 2 years pulled the carb - it was pretty and clean and I've never had ANY gunk or varnish issues. So I do believe it that stuff!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We have fooled with Rocket Fuel, Klotz, 104, and a couple of others.
On the Dyno, we have actually witnessed a DROP in power, that we could not correct with timing, or fuel changes.

Klotz Nitro,(nitropane) on the other hand, if you use as directed, will show quite a large gain, but once tuned for it, you must continue, as the jetting will be way off.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 AM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser

Every now and again run Red Line fuel system cleaner in tank...comes in Power Pack.

Might as well use it.

Kind of like the baseball hat that comes in the Power Pack. Might as well wear it. (Still have not figured out use for funnel though.)

Old 12-20-2008, 11:13 AM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

I use the fuel additive from Harley. I work for both GM and Toyota and I know that they spend thousands of dollars in research for there products to work in there cars. So with that in mind I am sure Harley spends a lot of money in there fuel additive to go with there bikes. This is just good business they would not spend the money if it did not work. The main ingredient is Durant below is a article that I found about this product.

In today’s market place there are a lot of different products on the market that claim to help you get more mileage out of the gas that you put in your gas tank. These products include detergents and many other additives. In this article I am going to review an additive that has been on the market since 1985. The name of this product is DurAlt.
DurAlt came out on the market in 1985 as a commercial product. It was put into limited use mainly by large truck fleets and in marine harbors as an after-market bulk treatment fuel conditioner. Since 1985 it has been marketed in different ways, including some private labels. The two most prominent private labels are the Harley-Davidson Genuine Fuel Additive and Freedom Fuel Additive.
Whenever a new fuel additive or conditioner comes out on the market, its amazing how many of them have outlandish claims about what they can do for your gas mileage, but have very little in the way of backup data. This is one area where DurAlt shines. DurAlt has been tested and approved by many independent laboratories and companies including Ford Motor Company, Harley-Davidson, Columbia University, and Total Fina Elf.
Here are just a few of the benefits that have been tested and proven for gasoline engines:
• Increases fuel mileage 8-12% on average
• Reduces Octane Requirement by 3 to 4 numbers
• Reduces engine knock
• Inhibits the formation of combustion chamber deposits
• Protects against fuel system corrosion
• Increases lubricity, extending life of fuel pumps and top end of engine
• Protects injectors
• Reduces hydrocarbon emissions
• Improves fuel stability during storage
• Protects storage tanks from rusting
• Reduces engine maintenance costs

DurAlt has also been proven to work in diesel engines as well. Here are some of the proven benefits for diesel engines:
• Increases fuel mileage up to 8-12%
• Increases lubricity, extending life of injection pumps & top end of engine
• Protects injectors
• Increases cetane by 2.5 numbers
• Up to 20% decrease in emissions
• Improves fuel stability during storage
• Protects storage tanks from rusting
• Ideal to use for bulk treatment
• Up to 20% decrease in engine maintenance

For those of you that are worried about what effect using a product like DurAlt might have on the environment, DurAlt has also been reviewed by the EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) and other environmental organizations. The EPA has said that DurAlt does not pose any greater health or environmental risk than unleaded gasoline. They have said that is it ‘substantially similar’ to unleaded gasoline, and so it is no more dangerous than the gas you already put in your tank.
From its proven benefits to the companies that have tested it, DurAlt is a product that is definitely worth your consideration if you are looking for a product that is proven to actually do what is says it will do: help your car run better!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:48 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by italfatboy
Second that italfatboy, use only chevron 94 octane. No need to add any extras. Runs as efficient as a Swiss watch on my carbed 04 FATBOY, at 10-2-1 comp.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run StaBIL fuel stabilizer in the fuel if I'm not gonna burn the whole tank in 3 or 4 days. I live in the St. Louis Area and the gasoline has 10% alcohol added- I have read in engine manufacturer's manuals that alcohol can break down into acidic compounds that can damage engine components, so I run Stabil.

I also run a little Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner every 10 tanks or so to keep the pump, lines and injectors clean.

Quick Reply: Fuel Additive?