Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Can I paint the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 PM
rattlebones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I paint the engine?

I was checking out this thread where a guy painted his silver (gray whatever) engine with engine enamel paint.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ng-begins.html

I was wondering how many people have tried this, and how well it worked out for you? I am not real crazy about the silver engine on my FXD and am considering painting it but I am concerned about how well the paint will hold up over time and in bad weather. I am also wondering if painting the jugs will cause it to get to hot. I thought the finished result this guy had was outstanding. Just don't know if it will stay looking that way and also run well. What do you guys think? Will it be okay to paint it or should I just learn to live with silver?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Default I hear ya..

I have a silver motor too and have thought of painting it black. But there are many times when I look at the contrast the motor has with the black tins and I love it. I also think the silver motor is ABSOLUTELY KILLER with red painted tins.

For me I think my actual consideration for painting the motor black is just a result of the current BLACK OUT trend going on now. You know...like everybody's doing it so maybe I should....

So, for me, I'm staying silver but I'll be watching the responses to your post.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:35 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you like the flat black look, you could use bbq black. I have use it on headers and it holds up very well with heat.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The paint will hold for a while, but will start to flake off.
Powder coating will insure it stay put, and no it will not run any hotter if you paint them black, or any ther color.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To get paint to stick to aluminum you need either a zinc chromate primer or a vinyl wash primer. Epoxy chromate is one of the latest versions. Without this treatment, once the paint completely dries it will flake off in sheets. It's a ton of work, but done right the paint will hang in there as well as pcoat. Done many an aircraft engine this way. I have recently used a product called POR self etching primer on magnesium since chromate reacts to it and will peel in short order. Two years later the bond is rock solid. Used POR on aluminum with good success too.
Ron

Old 01-13-2010, 05:25 PM
rattlebones
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to just live with the silver. I am to chicken to try painting it. I would like to have it powder coated but I don't have the special tools or the know how to completely disassemble the engine. And I can't afford to pay someone to do it for me. Well I could actually but that money is going into a paint job, new handle bars, forward controls, custom seat, sissy bar, thunder monster baffles and a few shiny things. I just bought this bike and I have to make it mine.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:06 PM
jerseyjimk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Honda vtx13oo, a few years back. I painted the motor and it lasted for many years.I know the the guy who owns the bike and it still looks good as the day I did It

Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Engine paint

If you check your catalog you'll see that you can buy a new set of replacement jugs in black...also rocker covers in black. I guess that would still be expensive though...

Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

I know this is not the topic, but I really like the silver motor.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 PM
F4Phantomsphorever
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hommes
I have a silver motor too and have thought of painting it black. But there are many times when I look at the contrast the motor has with the black tins and I love it. I also think the silver motor is ABSOLUTELY KILLER with red painted tins.

For me I think my actual consideration for painting the motor black is just a result of the current BLACK OUT trend going on now. You know...like everybody's doing it so maybe I should....

So, for me, I'm staying silver but I'll be watching the responses to your post.

I agree with the comment about the silver/red combination. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...us-for-me.html

I wish I could buy this bike right now.

Quick Reply: Can I paint the engine?