Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

thunderheader question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 PM
tattoofever
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thunderheader question

ok this is probly a stupid question but ive looked around and cant find the answer anywhere and its driving me nuts

i just got a used thunderheader and it doesnt have flanges on the end of pipes to connect to engine i looked on the thunderheader site and they dont sell anything except the tranny mount, is the flange a two peice flange?
i have samson pipes on there now and it looks like the flange is part of the exhaust ,am i missing somthing i looked in dennis kirk and a few others and the pictures of the pipes all look like the one i have ?
im not a idiot i just never had the exhaust off and from what i can see it looks like a 1 peice flange
thanks in advance for and insight i plan on doing it this weekend but its driving me nuts

Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe when I installed my Rineharts I re-used the two flanges and retaining clips from the stock exhaust.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reuse the ones you have or buy new ones with new clips. The flanges can be removed once you remove the retaining clips. I was able to reuse mine, but I bought new clips and bolts when I ordered new gaskets.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:04 PM
tazzzman
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Exhaust Flanges

I just replaced my pipes for a 2 into 1. I ordered new exhaust flanges for J & B. You can re-use the ones you have, but the snap rings that hold them on often get pretty "warped" upon removal.

I used the two vise grip method to twist the snap ring onto pipe (make sure to put flange on pipe first and facing right direction). Good luck!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 PM
tattoofever
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks , I figured it out as soon as I pulled my old pipes off , talk about feeling stupid !
Live and learn but in the upside they went on easy as pie , from all the searching I did on the flanges I thought they would have been tougher , almost every other post I read was people saying how tight it was. , perhaps bring used they where stretched out a bit if that's possible