Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

WLA sidecar setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:56 AM
Ninny
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WLA sidecar setup

I recently purchased this WLA with sidecar. The sidecar is obviously not set up correctly. The bike leans too far to the right. The sidecar chassis is not level to the ground. There is a long threaded rod situated from the mounting rod under the rear of the seat leading back to a length of steel right angle where a stay is connected. The stay runs down behind the centre axle rod and is angled acutely towards the ground where it is connected to the centre axle bar. Is there any one who can give me advice and or direct me to information on the net or in a book. I can only put five photos on this and you really need to see more to understand how the sidecar frame is attached. I can email more photos if any one is interested. Thanks in advance....

Attached Thumbnails WLA sidecar setup-4.jpg   WLA sidecar setup-5.jpg   WLA sidecar setup-11.jpg   WLA sidecar setup-12.jpg   WLA sidecar setup-16.jpg  

Old 05-31-2015, 06:43 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Looks like quite a restoration project, even without the sidecar. Kind of crude looking, but those threaded rods look like there's a lot of adjustment possible. I don't know the ideal angles on that rig, but you'll certainly want the bike level on a vertical plane, and probably a touch of toe in for the sidecar. I'd put at least 50 lbs in the sidecar, while making adjustments; weight changes in a sidecar change the dynamics a bit - they're more stable with some weight in the car, too. Not the specifics you're asking for, but if you don't get them, might give you a starting point for rigging it. You'll know you have it right when it will go down a level road straight with hands off.

If you don't already know, don't get regular motorcycle tires when the time comes, there are (expensive) sidecar tires, but dual purpose or off road tires work, just don't get full knobbies, they'll vibrate on pavement. I've heard of people using car tires, and I'd try that if I could find any to fit, but the old bikes use pretty slim tires, as does mine.

If you've ridden this one, or any other, you've found out they pull to one side or another when you accelerate or slow down, sure don't handle like a two wheeler.

It's been nearly 50 years since I rode one of these, don't remember the left hand front brake, but sure remember the tank shift. Expect to get a lot more attention riding this than you ever did on a two wheel Harley. I sure do on my rig, and it's not even a Harley, have a Russian Ural.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:53 AM
Ninny
Stage IV
Default Wla

Surprisingly the motor runs really well and gear box is very smooth. Apparently the bikes motor and gearbox were fully rebuilt, then the bike was stored for 10 years in an unventilated shipping container. hence there is lots of surface rust and paint deterioration. She's a really easy starter, does not even need choke.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:57 AM
Ninny
Stage IV

Thanks for your reply Imold. What info i am really after is how the sidecar chassis is attached to the bike frame. The threaded rod and steel angle remind me of something I saw on an old plough once.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:35 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

a guy on this site is from ausy - speeding big twin and he has lots of older bike experience and knowledge it would be in your interest to seek him out - look in the knuckel or panhead section he has posts

Old 08-11-2021, 01:52 AM
jjdarby156@gmail.com
Stage I

Near to finishing a full resteration on a wla and about to fit a Goulding sidecar I need all the advise I can get. anyone with any info.
John Darby

Old 08-11-2021, 06:54 AM
WLA36233
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not open the photos, but have ridden and set up a Murphy sidecar on a WLA and a U since 1965. The general set up is much the same whatever chassis it is.
The bike should lean out more than you may think. About 3/4 inch at handlebar height.
The sidecar axle should be about 9 inches forward of the bike's rear axle.
Get two six foot straight edges. Put one across the bikes tyres, and one across the sidecar wheel. The distance at the front of the straight edges should be 3/4 inch less than the rear.
You may have to tune the toe in by feel when you go for a ride. Have the steering damper on fairly tight. Also remember if you change the lean-out, that changes the toe in. That way when you are turning left towards the sidecar it toes the sidecar wheel out to make the turn easier, and for the right turn the opposite. That is because the front and the rear attachment points are at different heights.
It is worthwhile trying to lift the sidecar wheel to get a feel of the weight. When you are first riding it, get on a quiet straight road and swerve to lift the sidecar off the road, then ride along with it balanced. You need to get the feel of this.
A sack of sand in the chair might be useful for a while.
Usually the sidecar tire is the same as the bike's front , but often it is better to have it a bit higher.
Enter right turns a little fast and close the throttle. For left turns, enter a little slow, and accelerate. Also use your body weight. Apart from leaning from side to side, if you shift your body forward the back wheel slides better and this can be helpful.
My bike tracks straight without much effort, but shimmies when I back off to change up.
Enjoy.

Last edited by WLA36233; 08-11-2021 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Extra info
Old 08-11-2021, 07:37 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,605 Likes on 5,173 Posts

Can open photo's. Side is a sidecar old or new most of the alignment is about the same . Once close a bit of adjustment often need.
Forum has a sidecar thread with a fair number of sidecar owners around.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...railering-100/