General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install and first problem shows up

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:46 AM
hdultra2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam install and first problem shows up

well guys,
on Friday ride the bike for about 160 miles everything was good, just to empty the tank so I can start putting my new (used cam se255) in.
wake up Saturday and start tearing the bike down :
1- took off the fuse for the fuel pump, start her up. then put it back and took offthe mega fuse off (40 amp) .
2- I took the tank off
3- this the fun part though , let me tell you, it is pitta to get those exhaust off, I basically spent couple hours just trying to pull off those 4" in rinehart muffler, I did already spray some lube in all bolts and bands .
4- take off the spark plug and shifting the bike to 6 gear.
5- start to take off those push rode cover, using the straw method to get to top dead center, I was confused here for a little, reading the book and forum again just to make sure I got this right. drinking couple beers . put a clip to hold push rode as the video on you tube. I start with rear cylinder first , I was sure my push rods was loose.
6- took off the rocker cover on rear cylinder then rocker arm plate and pull off those push rods.
7- tried to get the top dead center on front cylinder it was a little hard as I thought I have to turn the rear wheel about half turn or sobut it was only few degree to get to tdc in front using same method of straw when it get the highest point in cylinder.
,checked the push rods and they were loose , then start tearing the front cylinder rocker cover and rocker arm plate with the push rods off too.
8- start on other side tearing down the cam cover.
9- tried to use the clipper thing to hold the lifter but it didn't really work well as I was pulling the cam plate I notice one side falling on cam, I stopped pulling the cam plate and went to dealer bought the magnetic lifter holder, it is worth every penny for only $20.95. was trying to find sprocket holder but they didn't have so I just used my rear brake with the bike on jiffy stand.
10- put everything back in order , fill up the oil ( new fresh) , let me tell u it is a pain to tighten the rear bolts with the torque wrench so I just used torque wrench on side that easy to reach and tighten other ones all the way tight then back off half turn .
now I start the bike , looked at the oil pressure and everything is good no bad sound no brocken piece or nothing, I notice this cam have different sound they are more loader and sharper tone a little , .
12- loaded my new map for the cam se 255, and went ahead for a ride. 25 miles later and all off sudden the bike dead in the road lucky I was in empty road nobody was behind me , so I pulled on side start her up and it start normal , putt in in first gear and it wont go, it is like I am applying the rear brake while I am holding the throttle. I heard cluncking noise in my primary. then it shut off . I notice the cluch was to tight, it is weird, then start her up , same thing happen, a couple guys stop by to help but they didn't know whats going on either.
after few minutes while am smoking , I checked the belt if it broke or something it is good .
then start her like the 4 time , and put her in first gear and I felt now it is going while I am putting my 4 way light as emergency for people behind me , by the time I put her in third gear and it it did same thingso I pulled in side. shut her up.
start calling road assistance from my insurance. about half hour later, waiting on road assistance, I start her up and it goes again. still with 4 way light , went ahead and start riding but I can't shift over 4 gear, and I mean it shift but it will die as I am 45 mph. I think they call it limp mode. went back driving it like that to the house at low rpm no more than 3K even if I try it wont go faster than 50 mph.

My question is: did I put the cam in wrong? , I thought if I did it shouldn't start or it will start but it will broke the valve or something. I start it too many time and it idle fine.
could it be the clutch or primary tensioner as I heard a couple time the clunking noise in that side but I rode it back for about 25 miles and no noise or anything.
ot it is just the damn ecm that acting up.
couple hours later I checked the power vision for any code, and it shows up in hist u1016 .

anyway I called back my insurance to cancel the rd assistance. and I wish that will not happen to nobody as it is scary if I was in highway certainly I will get hit.
overall the cam job wasn't bad at all if I didn't do anything wrong lol. and this cam is awesome, it is like day and night. it has power from the 2K rpm, love it , didn't get over 4K yet.
here is some pics

http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/en...ow/cam%20se255

so far I don't know where to start, but I am going to start the simple stuff first, any help is appreciated. thank you

Old 05-04-2015, 03:52 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by hdultra2010
well guys,
on Friday ride the bike for about 160 miles everything was good, just to empty the tank so I can start putting my new (used cam se255) in.
wake up Saturday and start tearing the bike down :
1- took off the fuse for the fuel pump, start her up. then put it back and took offthe mega fuse off (40 amp) .
2- I took the tank off
3- this the fun part though , let me tell you, it is pitta to get those exhaust off, I basically spent couple hours just trying to pull off those 4" in rinehart muffler, I did already spray some lube in all bolts and bands .
4- take off the spark plug and shifting the bike to 6 gear.
5- start to take off those push rode cover, using the straw method to get to top dead center, I was confused here for a little, reading the book and forum again just to make sure I got this right. drinking couple beers . put a clip to hold push rode as the video on you tube. I start with rear cylinder first , I was sure my push rods was loose.
6- took off the rocker cover on rear cylinder then rocker arm plate and pull off those push rods.
7- tried to get the top dead center on front cylinder it was a little hard as I thought I have to turn the rear wheel about half turn or sobut it was only few degree to get to tdc in front using same method of straw when it get the highest point in cylinder.
,checked the push rods and they were loose , then start tearing the front cylinder rocker cover and rocker arm plate with the push rods off too.
8- start on other side tearing down the cam cover.
9- tried to use the clipper thing to hold the lifter but it didn't really work well as I was pulling the cam plate I notice one side falling on cam, I stopped pulling the cam plate and went to dealer bought the magnetic lifter holder, it is worth every penny for only $20.95. was trying to find sprocket holder but they didn't have so I just used my rear brake with the bike on jiffy stand.
10- put everything back in order , fill up the oil ( new fresh) , let me tell u it is a pain to tighten the rear bolts with the torque wrench so I just used torque wrench on side that easy to reach and tighten other ones all the way tight then back off half turn .
now I start the bike , looked at the oil pressure and everything is good no bad sound no brocken piece or nothing, I notice this cam have different sound they are more loader and sharper tone a little , .
12- loaded my new map for the cam se 255, and went ahead for a ride. 25 miles later and all off sudden the bike dead in the road lucky I was in empty road nobody was behind me , so I pulled on side start her up and it start normal , putt in in first gear and it wont go, it is like I am applying the rear brake while I am holding the throttle. I heard cluncking noise in my primary. then it shut off . I notice the cluch was to tight, it is weird, then start her up , same thing happen, a couple guys stop by to help but they didn't know whats going on either.
after few minutes while am smoking , I checked the belt if it broke or something it is good .
then start her like the 4 time , and put her in first gear and I felt now it is going while I am putting my 4 way light as emergency for people behind me , by the time I put her in third gear and it it did same thingso I pulled in side. shut her up.
start calling road assistance from my insurance. about half hour later, waiting on road assistance, I start her up and it goes again. still with 4 way light , went ahead and start riding but I can't shift over 4 gear, and I mean it shift but it will die as I am 45 mph. I think they call it limp mode. went back driving it like that to the house at low rpm no more than 3K even if I try it wont go faster than 50 mph.

My question is: did I put the cam in wrong? , I thought if I did it shouldn't start or it will start but it will broke the valve or something. I start it too many time and it idle fine.
could it be the clutch or primary tensioner as I heard a couple time the clunking noise in that side but I rode it back for about 25 miles and no noise or anything.
ot it is just the damn ecm that acting up.
couple hours later I checked the power vision for any code, and it shows up in hist u1016 .

anyway I called back my insurance to cancel the rd assistance. and I wish that will not happen to nobody as it is scary if I was in highway certainly I will get hit.
overall the cam job wasn't bad at all if I didn't do anything wrong lol. and this cam is awesome, it is like day and night. it has power from the 2K rpm, love it , didn't get over 4K yet.
here is some pics

http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/en...ow/cam%20se255

so far I don't know where to start, but I am going to start the simple stuff first, any help is appreciated. thank you
If you didn't know what you were doing, why were you drinking alcohol while doing it?

Old 05-04-2015, 06:51 PM
hdultra2010
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Next In Line
If you didn't know what you were doing, why were you drinking alcohol while doing it?
I didn't get drunk sir lol. that job took all day long so few beers will not make me drunk , I know what I am doing it is just me I have to recheck stuff all the time , since it is my first time doing it. I am not mechanic but I can do a lot by myself.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like your problem has nothing to do with your cam install.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:32 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,315 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
Sounds like your problem has nothing to do with your cam install.
That's what I was thinking.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:49 AM
hdultra2010
Cruiser

thank you guys, that's what I was thinking too, I am thinking it is some wiring under seat or something. the only plug that I unplugged was the throttle body and the tank pate plug . ity maybe just the ecm didn't get a full reading of the new map too...I didn't check any wiring yet but going to do it today after work hopefully.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts
Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
There is always one in the crowd that has to pass judgement......WTF?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

I'm convinced the actual cam install isn't the issue, since it did run fine for 25 miles, and it sounds like it ran fine again after the initial issue. I'd try reflashing the ECM again, but that doesn't explain the noise in the primary.

By your user name I'm guessing the bike is a 2010 Ultra? Is that throttle by wire?

Old 05-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by hdultra2010
Looks to me like U1016 has to do with the security fob battery: http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=35056

However, it probably has nothing to do with your engine problem. So just because you got a code, doesnt mean its the source of the problem, it could just mean you have 2 different problems, one is minor, and one could be major

Quick Reply: cam install and first problem shows up