General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Service Plan ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:04 AM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Extended Service Plan ??

Hey y'all,

I'm about ready to finalize the deal on a 2007 Hertiage Classic and the Dealer brings up the Extended Service Plan (Extended Warranty) for up to 5 years. Normaly I make it a policy to NOT purchase extended warranties on items, and have rarely gotten burned too bad.

BUT, this is a major purchase and a couple riders I know at work have suggested to me that this plan is worthwhile to have. One guy has a horror story about a cam bearing going bad about 8 months out of the Manufacturer's warranty and it cost well over the cost of the extended service plan to repair the motor.

Does anyone have some experience with the HD Extended Service Plan - good or bad - to share, or just general feelings about extended warranties?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

waterdog[/align]

Old 04-26-2007, 04:42 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extended Service Plan ??

It's up to you. I am a gambler. I like to void my warranty's. I voided my jeep warranty 300 miles in and lifted it 7 inches. It was fine for 100,000 miles. I just bought my Fatty.I will void that warranty quicker. I do like paying in advance for the extended service plans though

Old 04-26-2007, 04:46 AM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

You've heard, or will hear, about a couple issues with the '07s. I bought two extra years, "just in case". It was worth a little more peace of mind.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:51 AM
waterdog
Tourer

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

It's up to you. I am a gambler. I like to void my warranty's. I voided my jeep warranty 300 miles in and lifted it 7 inches. It was fine for 100,000 miles. I just bought my Fatty.I will void that warranty quicker. I do like paying in advance for the extended service plans though
By "paying in advance for the extended service plan", are you talking about paying in advance for the scheduled service (1k, 2.5k, 5k, 7.5k and 10k milesmanufacturer's required service)??? By saying that you like to "void your warrantys", I think that what you mean.

Thanks for the response,

waterdog

Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 AM
waterdog
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

You've heard, or will hear, about a couple issues with the '07s. I bought two extra years, "just in case". It was worth a little more peace of mind.
Thanks for the response mooster.

I'm almost afraid to ask but, huh,.........what issues???? [sm=insomnia.gif]

Should I worry? LOL.

If you don't mind me asking, about what does two years extended coverage cost and did you get the tire coverage option also? If you do mind, then just tell me to buzz off. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

I'll not take it personal.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:30 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: waterdog

Hey y'all,

I'm about ready to finalize the deal on a 2007 Hertiage Classic and the Dealer brings up the Extended Service Plan (Extended Warranty) for up to 5 years. Normaly I make it a policy to NOT purchase extended warranties on items, and have rarely gotten burned too bad.

BUT, this is a major purchase and a couple riders I know at work have suggested to me that this plan is worthwhile to have. One guy has a horror story about a cam bearing going bad about 8 months out of the Manufacturer's warranty and it cost well over the cost of the extended service plan to repair the motor.

Does anyone have some experience with the HD Extended Service Plan - good or bad - to share, or just general feelings about extended warranties?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

waterdog[/align]
my extended has already saved me a few hundred bucks. always better safe than sorry

Old 04-26-2007, 05:48 AM
black dyna
Tourer

they told me i good buy it any time before the two years are up.so y spend the money now.right

Old 04-26-2007, 07:22 AM
timdow
Tourer

I bought an extended warranty and a service plan. I am OK with the warranty, but the service plan was a bad idea. It was just too expensive. Add up what the services would cost you and see if it saves you much. Oh, and if you even think you would move in that three years, don't do it.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 AM
waterdog
Tourer

ORIGINAL: timdow

I bought an extended warranty and a service plan. I am OK with the warranty, but the service plan was a bad idea. It was just too expensive. Add up what the services would cost you and see if it saves you much. Oh, and if you even think you would move in that three years, don't do it.
Thanks for the feedback timdow. I take it the service plan you mention is for the first 10,000 miles scheduled maintenance? They offered my one of those also. I added youthecosts listed just for the 1k, 2.5k, 5k, 7.5k and 10k milesmanufacturer's required service and it came up to just $100 less than the cost of the plan. But the plan also includes up to 3 new batteries, up to 3 wheel mounting and balancings one drive belt replacement, and one brake pad replacement (parts and labor on all those, except for the tires). So, if you utilize butONE of thoserepair items, the plan has paid for itself. But the question(the risk you take with buying the plan) is, how likely is it that you will need a new battery, or a wheel installed, or a new drive belt, etc... in the first 10,000 miles?????

So, any input there guys? Will a battery be needed within 10,000 miles (or first 3 years)??
Will a new drive belt be needed in the first 10,000 miles )(or first 3 years)???
From what I read on this MB, YES, it's likely that at least one of these repair items will needed.

The dealer told me that they are taking a risk based upon hom much you ride the bike, because they will lose money on a rider that actually rides the bike alot. But they will make money on someone that doesn't ride much. I expect to be in the former category!!!

Oh, and we we do plan to buy a new house in the next few years, but still within the same area, so I'll be able to still get to the dealer.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 PM
itchin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy told them to pack thier extended warranty after he found out that it runs concurrent for the first to years, with the factory warranty. So, you are payin for five, but actually only getting 3.

Quick Reply: Extended Service Plan ??