General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I tried really hard to buy a HD

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Bob D
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I tried really hard to buy a HD

If a dealer did not want to deal with a lender I would want to see the title before I layed down the cash. It's possible the bike has a branded title or is one of those rental rebuilds that was brought up a while back.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On any bike that I sell, I WANT you to finance,I get more commission (what??? I have to feed my family). So Cavedog, come on up here, I've got Ultra's on the floor, I'll not only sell you the bike, I'll finance it, sell you an extended warranty, life & disability insurance, a service plan, extra chrome......and I'll finance that too. BUT, for spending all that money, I'll wash it and fill it with gas.......hell, I'll even buy you dinner. Just remember to ignore the fact that with the exchange rate it works out to be about $3,000 more than you would pay at home.Oh yeah, one other thing, the speedo is in kilometers, but when you look at it really quick, you'll get a big rush, cuz it tops out at 220

Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Sounds to me like the dealer is just a sore loser because they aren't getting your F&I business. Business must be so terribly good that they can afford to turn good paying customers away.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that only a Harley dealer would feel smug enough to do something so stupid.

(And after reading this_thread, nothing Harley dealers do now surprises me.)

Old 05-01-2007, 11:32 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

I had my check from USAA all ready to be endorsed at one dealership. They were like we don't take bank drafts. That and a bunch of other azzhole comments by the salesman and I told him to go **** himself went up the road and bought it at the next Harley dealership. They were more than happy to take my money. Said they had 5 USAA bank drafts that week.

If someone is an azzhole like that they will end up hurting themselves in the long run. Harleys are popular right now. Who knows what it will be like in 5 years. Hopefully they will end up going out of business.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:18 AM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master

This whole story sounds like BS to me.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Dealers usually tack on an extra 2% to whatever your rate came back when they ran you. I assume Harley does the same thing or they couldn't pay their finance guys the money they do. Salesmen are at the bottom of the heap. The finance guy makes all the money (except when you do your own financing). Most Salesmen don't make anything off the back end money (warranty, gap, credit life)
ORIGINAL: TowJam

Sounds to me like the dealer is just a sore loser because they aren't getting your F&I business. Business must be so terribly good that they can afford to turn good paying customers away.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that only a Harley dealer would feel smug enough to do something so stupid.

(And after reading this_thread, nothing Harley dealers do now surprises me.)

Old 05-02-2007, 12:42 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

Dealers usually tack on an extra 2% to whatever your rate came back when they ran you. I assume Harley does the same thing or they couldn't pay their finance guys the money they do. Salesmen are at the bottom of the heap. The finance guy makes all the money (except when you do your own financing). Most Salesmen don't make anything off the back end money (warranty, gap, credit life)
When I bought my Ducati I was in the salesmans office and it had a bulletion from Ducati on the guys desk. It had the rate they would charge for each credit rating group and the maximum amount the dealer could mark up for each rate. For the highest category they could bump it up only 1% but for the lowest they could bump it up 3%. You have to feel sorry for the guy with bad credit. They are really rapeing him. I think if the Manufacture doesn't have a financing promotion it is best to avoid fiancing through the dealership. Go out and get it on your own. Credit union or bank They are just trying to rip you off one more way.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior

It won't be long befor their kissing some major butt to make a sell,,,,I think they built too many bikes.....

Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

I had a similar issue with a certain HD dealership in 1999 when I bought the Dyna Convertible. They had the bike I wanted and the price was about right....and I really wanted the new Twin Cam.

Anyways, I was still in my work clothes and just came off a 12 hour shift. I probably looked like I could not afford anything. I was going to write a check for nearly half the price of the bike and finance the remainder. I was able to write the whole amount....but I new the wife would kill me. He pulled my credit and it was fine.

As I was writing the check....the salesman said to me, "You know you're not going to be able to take the bike home today." I said, "Uh, I am approved and am writing a huge downpayment...why not?" I then said fine..."I will write the whole amount." At that point....the salesman said,"That would be a big check and we don't think you have that kind of money." I said,"You are probably right." I then left nice and politely.

I then drove to another dealership about an hour away. This dealership was great and the price was right. Didn't question if my check was ok or not. Helped me load the bike in the truck and I left.

I had to drive near the original dealership to get back home. I pulled in their lot....and asked for the manager/owner. The owner and manager came out....I said, "I came here a few hours ago to buy a bike and was unable to." You might want to go ask that salesman right there...I also pointed towards him.

I bet someone was looking for a new job at the end of the day.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In all likelyhood that dealer has been cut off from the fiannce company for submitting fraudulent loan applications. Or something like that.

Quick Reply: I tried really hard to buy a HD