General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sounds weird

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:03 AM
JoeN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds weird

Does anyone, or know anyone that rides a 2 wheel scoot and yet walks with a
cane.Riding isn't the problem, its getting off, and then,walking away.
Long story but I am disabled. Walking I lose my balance due to lost reflexes, and the cane helps hold me up, and is just something to grab onto. Riding absolutely kills my back, but I just can't seem to give it up.

Anyone ?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:09 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Yes,

A vet who frequents our building walks with a cane and has a tube mounted on his handlebars where he keeps the cane while riding. Trust me, this guy needs the cane, we has a very bad leg caused by an injury while in IRAQ, I have had several conversations with him, he tells me that once he is on the bike, he's good to go.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:54 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 666 Posts

You're not the only one. I have a steel plate and a bunch of screws in my left leg courtesy of a bike accident about 30 years ago. Riding is not a problem, but walking can be.

If riding hurts your back, you might try an adjustable backrest. I can't ride too far without one, but with it I can ride all day with no pain. You can also try adjusting or changing handlebars, pegs and levers for a more comfortable riding position. Sometimes a small change can make a big difference in comfort.

I have a folding cane that fits in a saddlebag and I have also just bungied a cane to the side of the bike on occasion. When I have the sidecar on the bike, there is plenty of room for a cane in there.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,346 Likes on 846 Posts

I'm not sure I actually understand the question. Do you want to know how we carry them, or transition to them after stopping or what? I sometimes need one, so I bungee it to my back seat. I know of some people who use the fold up one, but I always carry a combat grade cane and those don't work. When I stop, I'm right at the bike and can lean on it if necessary.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

If your reflexes are so bad you cant walk maybe you shouldn't be riding? Not trying to sound like a dick but reflexes are pretty important when that teenybopper looks down to answer her phone and rolls into your lane.
And yes there are a few old guys around here with canes mounted to the front forks or handlebars

Old 02-16-2016, 04:03 PM
JoeN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife says walking with a cane, then jumping on a motorcycle, I will look like a d*ck. She doesn't understand. She doesn't ride.

I have had a couple back surgeries (need 2 more) and I can't ride that far even with an adjustable backrest.

Lately I have been losing my balance walking. I am deficit in some reflexes. For instance. I can't walk on my heels. The foot doesn't move. Only the toes.
When I shift I use the heel shift, I can't shift with my toes. I actually step down.

The question really was would I look like an ***. How do you think people would look at me?

One answer was the adjustable cane in the saddle bags or tour pack.
thank you

Old 02-16-2016, 04:06 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i'm missing my right leg and broke my back a year and a half ago due to hitting a deer on my bike. can't due a two wheeler any longer ,so i bought a trike. playing the hand i was dealt, but i'm still riding. maybe he should be on a trike. you have to try and look at it from a saftey stand point. i could have tried to get back on two wheels but i would have most likely ended up laying on some fenders at stop lights and i'm not even using a cane any longer.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:42 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used one off and on as needed for years. I have good days and bad days with my hip. I use a 2pc extendable cane that fits in saddlebag.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Tore up my meniscus & ACL. Sometimes the leg just feels like it's going to buckle underneath me. Been walking with a full leg brace that goes from the top of the thigh to the mid calf for the last 3 months. Been going to PT & they recommend wearing it when riding the bike. That may be a another way for you to go. If back pain is getting down maybe it's time to look into a nice open top street rod. If I have to give up riding that's the way I going.
Good luck in working things out.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeN
my wife says walking with a cane, then jumping on a motorcycle, I will look like a d*ck. She doesn't understand. She doesn't ride.

The question really was would I look like an ***. How do you think people would look at me?
Do you really care what "people" think?

I like having one of my canes along on rides. I started collecting them after my accident, I probably have around 30 now, from plain utilitarian metal ones to beautifully carved exotic wooden ones. My favorite is a stout carven Hickory wood cane that could serve as a very effective close in weapon. Don't mess with the old guy with the cane, he might just surprise you!

Quick Reply: sounds weird