General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get cb to work

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:17 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts
Default Can't get cb to work

I've had my '14 TG in to get my CB fixed - 4 visits and still can't fix it. They put a new CB unit in to test that, but it wasn't it, then they put in a new tank console plug assembly, but it also didn't do any good. They did fine some wires that were abraded under the fairing an re-taped them. They said something about replacing the head unit (?) also. So far nothing. I'm getting pissed-I had to pay $800+ to have it installed in the first place.

My problem is no one can hear me or at best very very faintly. I can barely hear others. Both actions sounds like I'm/they are in a fish bowl(garbled). The static that was there at the beginning is gone now-replaced with the garbled sound. My speakers are fine. We did switch out the antenna - no help. The only thing they haven't done is check the wires from the antenna to the console. Does anyone think that may be the problem of have had the same problem? The dealer is going to call tech services today to get some help - he's run out of ideas.
Yesterday we switched mics. The new mic seamed better, but still no help in receiving. And when he or I releases our PTT button we get a very very loud pop. The squelch does not affect anything.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 07-21-2016, 10:06 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Checking the wires was my first thought. Also check the ground for the antenna make sure it is good. Also you may need to have the SWR checked.

Also if you haven't done it yet try another known good head set. Could be the lower cord or the headset it's self.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:10 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,740 Likes on 6,191 Posts

Tune the antenna with an SWR meter? 1.1 to 1.5 is what you want. Higher readings could be an indicator that your antenna is too long. If there is too much reflectivity (higher reading), you could eventually damage the radio.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:14 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
Checking the wires was my first thought. Also check the ground for the antenna make sure it is good. Also you may need to have the SWR checked.

Also if you haven't done it yet try another known good head set. Could be the lower cord or the headset it's self.
I cut off the ear speakers and just use the mic clipped to my jacket and listen to the fairing speakers.
When I had the CB installed it worked fine.
I'm wondering if the dealer did something when they installed the Hyper-Lites to my tour pac.

Did try a couple other mics - same problem.

Even if the mic was bad, that wouldn't affect receiving problems.....would it?
I think your first suggestions should be the next thing to try.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Tune the antenna with an SWR meter? 1.1 to 1.5 is what you want. Higher readings could be an indicator that your antenna is too long. If there is too much reflectivity (higher reading), you could eventually damage the radio.
It's the stock antenna - how would you adjust it? Can an antenna go bad all by itself???

Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

What's a CB?
I looked on my Heritage and I can't find anything that's labeled "CB".

Old 07-21-2016, 01:36 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,740 Likes on 6,191 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
It's the stock antenna - how would you adjust it? Can an antenna go bad all by itself???
There's a set screw at the base of the antenna. You can raise or lower it in the base. SWR meter is about $25.
Lots of info on Google.
Only bringing this up because there has been no mention of anyone checking this.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluraven
What's a CB?
I looked on my Heritage and I can't find anything that's labeled "CB".
You probably just got the bare bones model? Besides, people that don't travel much don't need one. TIC

A CB has saved me from many road problems (accident tie ups and detours)on my trips through Canada and the US. I wouldn't be without one.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:31 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHPAW
There's a set screw at the base of the antenna. You can raise or lower it in the base. SWR meter is about $25.
Lots of info on Google.
Only bringing this up because there has been no mention of anyone checking this.
Didn't think a factory stock antenna needed to be adjusted.
Raising it 1/2" can make a difference? If I loosen it, it may vibrate off - there is no set screw to hold it from turning. The old antennas did have a set screw.

I don't know what is wrong - I have a problem with both transmitting and receiving not just one.
It seems to me maybe there is two completely separate issues.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:36 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Guy in our club has gone through the same thing. They have replaced every piece of it. His came stock with a CB, it worked for a few months then started giving him troubles. CB unit, head unit, antenna all have been replaced so far. His is an intermittent problem at this point though.

Quick Reply: Can't get cb to work