General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Epic Softail Slim Rant

Old 07-26-2016, 06:24 AM
theWicked
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epic Softail Slim Rant

I had a '96 1200 Sportster for like 10 years. Did a lot to it and definitely felt like it was mine. Sucked on the highway though. Served me very well. Upgraded from that to a '12 Softail Slim. It had everything I wanted (I thought). Already had an intake and exhaust, everything that didn't come black had been powder coated, and it had the look I tend to like (chunky front tire, spoked wheels, flat bars, blacked out, all that).

I got this thing in March. Maybe it was the cold air talking but I decided to buy a Memphis Shades Bullett fairing for commuting to work (55 minutes, mostly 65-75mph highway). Maybe it's because I am 6'2" but all the fairing did was blast me in the face with air. So I buy the laminar lip looking booster wing they sell for the fairing. Same deal, lots of air to the head. More than without a fairing. Then I go down the path of modifying a front fork air baffle to fit my fork. All said riding that thing at 75mph was like being in a blender of buffeting. It was horrible. Maybe if I was smaller I'd fit in the "bubble" that all this stuff was making.

Fast forward to now and I've taken all that stuff off. Figured I'd get a full face helmet and some bluetooth to make the commute more enjoyable. Stay away from the Bell Bullitt. It's loud at speed, speakers don't fit as advertised, and not built nearly as well as an Arai or Shoei. But it's field of view is incredible. It's like you are wearing a half helmet.

And ditch the stock seat. Couldn't be happier with the Mustang Wide Tripper and backrest.

ANYWAY, everytime I get to work after riding I feel like this isn't the bike for me. I'm trying real hard not to judge it based on this horrendous stretch of highway I ride in the morning (back roads on the way home). Sometimes the wind is just right and my knees get blow apart and away from the tank. I don't want to say I'm squeezing the tank with my legs but that's kind of what it feels like. Sometimes I'll relax and if I let it happen my entire leg and foot will blow off the floorboard. It's like there is no weight on my feet. Like my legs are just kind of lying in front of me and I have to use all my leg muscles to keep them from flopping like a windsock. Makes me feel like I was using a thighmaster the whole trip there.

Besides that I love everything about it. A touring bike would be great but I'm not doing cross country riding everyday. I guess I just equate a touring bike to one guy driving around an empty 18 passenger van or someone with a truck that's never had anything in the bed. I test drove a Road King but can't remember if my legs were catching a lot of wind. Never drove any batwing models.

This should have been like 8 posts over the last few months but you guys are getting it all at once. Thanks for listening.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

You might try a Heritage as a good alternative to the Slim-just a big bigger, but a whole lot smaller than a tourer. Add a (properly sized) windshield (yeah, I know they're ugly, but they work) and engine guards (with soft lowers for cold weather), and you have a commuter. Take off the bags, and you have an attractive, comfortable cruiser. Just sayin'...

Last edited by shorelasHD; 07-26-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:10 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 779 Posts

I've seen the Slim with the Harley Davidson windshield. It is a wide shield that will top off under your line of site as it should do. Then you can pick up a set of lowers too. It's said the buffeting comes from under the windshield. Before selling the bike it may be worth a try.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:15 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I dont tour much, I ride a touring bike because I commute for 40 minutes at 70mph. I loved my Deluxe, but it sucked on the freeway.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:17 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a Klock werks windshield on my Heritage and the fangs on my forks. It has made the world of difference.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:31 AM
theWicked
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I have a Klock werks windshield on my Heritage and the fangs on my forks. It has made the world of difference.
I've thought about the fangs. It's just hard for me to keep trying all these $100+ bandaids.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,113 Likes on 6,203 Posts

If you keep the slim, look at long ride shields recurve windshields. You can also look at some of the Memphis Shades windshields, particularly their taller ones.

Still, you stated you are 6'2". The Slim is a small bike. It is so small that it is popular with women, beginners, and small people.

You need to test ride a Heritage and a Road King.

Buying a bike based solely on appearance is never good outcome, especially once the novelty of a new bike wears off. Quite frankly, I am surprised you liked the Sportster.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:35 AM
theWicked
Intermediate

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
I dont tour much, I ride a touring bike because I commute for 40 minutes at 70mph. I loved my Deluxe, but it sucked on the freeway.
I'm just pretty bummed about having buyers remorse for something that was everything I wanted. I feel like if I had a touring bike I'd hate looking at it in the garage. I'm only 33. Maybe in another 10 years, lol.

But the wind blowing my legs, I feel like I'm getting arthritis in my hips from it.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,695 Likes on 1,985 Posts

I bought the "king size" detachable windshield for my FLSTN back in '98. I haven't ridden without it since. FWIW, I had previously ridden for 18 years without a windshield of any kind.

Looks are subjective, but, IMO, if there is any bike that looks "right" with a windshield, it's the Heritage or the Deluxe (Special). A windshield wouldn't look out of place on a Slim, either.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 AM
theWicked
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Prot
If you keep the slim, look at long ride shields recurve windshields. You can also look at some of the Memphis Shades windshields, particularly their taller ones.

Still, you stated you are 6'2". The Slim is a small bike. It is so small that it is popular with women, beginners, and small people.

You need to test ride a Heritage and a Road King.

Buying a bike based solely on appearance is never good outcome, especially once the novelty of a new bike wears off. Quite frankly, I am surprised you liked the Sportster.
The sportster was a bar hopper for sure. I never took it on the highway. I didn't have many expectations other than it starting.

I rode a Heritage and Road King a few months back. It was cold as hell so it was kind of hard to judge.

And compared to the Sportster it doesn't feel small. But in reality the Sportster was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Epic Softail Slim Rant