General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Softail and Dyna suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:50 PM
TroutBum
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Post Question: Softail and Dyna suspension

I don't own a Harley, but looking to buy one this year. Can someone explain to me the advantages and disadvantage of the rear suspension of the Softail and Dyna?

Old 05-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by TroutBum
I don't own a Harley, but looking to buy one this year. Can someone explain to me the advantages and disadvantage of the rear suspension of the Softail and Dyna?
Short version:

Softail suspension is hidden. Looks cooler, in some peoples opinion. Looks like a 40s-50s Harley.

Dyna rear shocks are exposed. Theoretically work better. Looks like a 60s-70s Harley.

To me, the bigger difference between the 2 bikes is the counterbalanced vs. rubber mount motor.

The following users liked this post:
TroutBum (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 02:18 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,178 Likes on 11,108 Posts

If you want the bike to have adequate lean angle in the turns, choose the Dyna.
The Dyna is a spinoff of the FXR, arguably the best frame HD ever made..
Theoretically the Softail is more of a Comfortglide.
Rumors are this could be the last year of the Softail, its been around for 25 yrs.

Last edited by upflying; 05-05-2017 at 02:26 PM.
TroutBum (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 02:21 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

I've always heard........"if you wanna pose, get a softail, if you wanna ride, get a dyna". Having owned a softail.....I hated it...........mostly because of the "B" engine.....and the ride was nothing to write home about either..........didn't like it at all..........never will own another softail.

TroutBum (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 02:52 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Softtail has a b engine that means it mounted to the frame instead of sitting on rubber spacers so it won't vibrate as much while sitting at a light. Also they have a shorter suspension giving them some of the lowest seat hights out of all the Harley's people will say the lower suspension will cause you to scrape on turns but I've never had that problem as long as you don't ride like an idiot it shouldent matter. I scrape my pegs on my Honda CBR but never have on a fatboy lo.
Other than that it's a visual thing personaly having the springs on the outside of the bike makes the dynas look messy and like someone had remembered at the last second to put the suspension on and just said F it put em on the outside

TroutBum (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

You truely need to ride each and get what looks good on you. Each has a comparable twin. Like my Duece (no long sold) and the Dyna Wide glide.
If you are coming off a metric, that Dyna idle vibration at a light just may be unnerving.
The new big cruisers are now balanced similar to a Softail but with a different setup.

Neither of these bikes is going to handle like a Sports bike. So get what fills right to you and looks good on you. They say the Dyna handles better but you really have to push it to the edge to tell the difference. Pushing these cruisers to that edge will end up biting you in the butt, however since at that point what you can get away with one day on the street may just be different at the same spot of the road a week later.

TroutBum (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:18 PM
AliensilverFXDBI
Road Captain
Received 242 Likes on 114 Posts

I've owned both and ridden about 13k miles on a softail and about 22k miles on a dyna.
dyna handles far better without question.
I would have to give the highway comfort to the dyna as well. The only thing my dynas were lacking for super comfy travelling was floorboards. With mid controls and an engine guard with built in foot rests travelling was great.... better than forward controls and no engine guard.
The softail looks cooler in my opinion but that's about it. I love the big front end and the big fenders (Heritage softail).
The softail can be thrown around ok but in the twistys the dyna will walk away.

Last edited by AliensilverFXDBI; 05-05-2017 at 03:21 PM.
TroutBum (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:43 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Rumors are this could be the last year of the Softail, its been around for 25 yrs.

what do you have to back this up. I'd be amazed if they discontinued Softails, surely they sell more than Dynas.If Dynas share the touring frame next year that doesn't leave HD with many options.

TroutBum (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy
Softtail has a b engine that means it mounted to the frame instead of sitting on rubber spacers so it won't vibrate as much while sitting at a light.
The rubber mounting doesn't cause it to vibrate any less, in fact it vibrates more than the B motor. The rubber just helps isolate it so you don't feel it a the bars and the pegs.

TroutBum (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:50 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
The rubber mounting doesn't cause it to vibrate any less, in fact it vibrates more than the B motor. The rubber just helps isolate it so you don't feel it a the bars and the pegs.
yeah that's what I said the b motor has less vibration

Quick Reply: Question: Softail and Dyna suspension