General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New River Bridge - UNDERNEATH <-- THAT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:23 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts
Default New River Bridge - UNDERNEATH <-- THAT!

Does anyone know what the road UNDERNEATH the New River Bridge condition is like presently?

Abt 7 yrs ago that road was very bad. Big potholes and cracks. Quite dangerous for bikers.

Has anyone been there in the last few years or so?

I am asking about the road UNDERNEATH the New River Bridge.

Thank you,

BuzzCap7

Old 04-16-2018, 08:53 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

you mean the New River Gorge bridge in WV??

I rode down there a few years ago, road was ok. I recall a few rough spots heading back up leaving the bridge, but taking ones time no issue.

Last edited by F150HD; 04-16-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:12 PM
BuzzCap7

YES!!! In Fayetteville (although it appears some think it is in a diff city/town nearby)..

On the north end of the bridge underneath there were a few BIG HOLES when the road angled a lot as you start to go underneath.

It sounds like they may have been filled in. ???

BuzzCap7

Old 04-16-2018, 09:47 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
YES!!! In Fayetteville (although it appears some think it is in a diff city/town nearby)..

On the north end of the bridge underneath there were a few BIG HOLES when the road angled a lot as you start to go underneath.

It sounds like they may have been filled in. ???

BuzzCap7
I do recall the road back up was punchy....but, taking ones time, low speed it was doable. Worth the trip. Incredible area.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:07 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Playing a festival up in W. Va. & will be visiting New River Gorge May 24. If you can wait till then, I'll let you know.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default New River

Last year the road was newly paved

Attached Thumbnails New River Bridge - UNDERNEATH &lt;-- THAT!-hog-rally-lexington-2017-1361.jpg   New River Bridge - UNDERNEATH &lt;-- THAT!-hog-rally-lexington-2017-1388.jpg   New River Bridge - UNDERNEATH &lt;-- THAT!-hog-rally-lexington-2017-1337.jpg  

Last edited by rlh7677; 04-16-2018 at 10:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cacomly (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:36 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Walking the cat walk underneath the bridge is fun but a little pricey. I got it as a gift a few yrs. ago. I don't know the road condition but it looked small. You don't have to wait until Bridge Day to do it, if still available.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:08 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by rlh7677
I have been there a number of times and usually at least once a year. You are correct that it was newly paved early last year (I guess) as the descent was much improved. But unless you exit the same way (I don't usually) the other connecting roads are still typical northern states pothole filled. But big deal as I don't travel to such places to be in a hurry. It really is a great ride and more should visit/enjoy.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 382 Posts

I live about an hour away. Just rode under it last year. The road is in great shape.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:28 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by F150HD
I do recall the road back up was punchy....but, taking ones time, low speed it was doable. Worth the trip. Incredible area.
I agree. I am taking several people with me most of them are excellent on a bike. I just do not want to do something stupid (like go on a really bad road) and someone falls over.

Originally Posted by dickey
Playing a festival up in W. Va. & will be visiting New River Gorge May 24. If you can wait till then, I'll let you know.
Absolutely dickey this ride is not until after that. Thank you.

Originally Posted by rlh7677
FREAK'n GREAT!!!! Thanks for the input. There appears to be confirmation of that below. Excellent news!

Originally Posted by kap1
Walking the cat walk underneath the bridge is fun but a little pricey. I got it as a gift a few yrs. ago. I don't know the road condition but it looked small. You don't have to wait until Bridge Day to do it, if still available.
Pricey? It is free to go underneath. Maybe you are talking about the gift shop? I remember the visitors center or the information area but no gift shop. But then I am old.

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
I have been there a number of times and usually at least once a year. You are correct that it was newly paved early last year (I guess) as the descent was much improved. But unless you exit the same way (I don't usually) the other connecting roads are still typical northern states pothole filled. But big deal as I don't travel to such places to be in a hurry. It really is a great ride and more should visit/enjoy.
Excellent for the newly paved confirmation. I do not turn around and come back. I would go in one area and pop out the other. I am not so concerned about the secondary roads. Just the one under the bridge mainly and that seems to have been repaved. I am one happy camper now. Thank you NBKM. rel7677 also said above it was repaved. LOVE IT!

Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
I live about an hour away. Just rode under it last year. The road is in great shape.

3rd person to say that. I am feeling BETTER all the time. Greatly appreciate the info.

LOVE the PIXs!!

I am not going to go look it up but I recall on that wooden bridge there were 3 oriental people all taking photos (of course) of the whole area. Cannot blame them. As you know my friend, it is such a beautiful area if your camera accidentally goes off, you are pretty much guaranteed to get a great photo. LOL!

BuzzCap7

Quick Reply: New River Bridge - UNDERNEATH <-- THAT!