General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'16 Road Glide, FRONT ABS DELETE

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:13 PM
TyPo23x
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '16 Road Glide, FRONT ABS DELETE

Hola fellow riders, so I'm nearing the end of a pretty substantial bike build and need y'alls help. I put a Mach 8 front end from American Suspension on this bad boy and it is a narrower front end that won't allow for the ABS spacer when I put the new wheel in there. I had to machine my own 3/8" spacers for each side of the hub which is certainly much narrower than the factory ABS sensor (hence why it won't fit). I'm sure you can tell where I'm going with this... I basically need to delete the front ABS but don't want the damn ABS light on all the time so pulling the fuse is not an option. I was wondering if I could keep the ABS sensor plugged in and just hide it in the fairing or would that simulate the wheel locking up and mess with the front braking when enabled? There's gotta be a guru out there that can help!

THANKS!
Ty

Old 07-14-2018, 05:57 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

If you leave the pick up sensor plugged in and hide it in the fairing it is going to give you a code. It has to sense a pulse and send it back to the ecu to function properly.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:03 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,264 Likes on 6,242 Posts

I have heard of people machining down the ABS spacer in some instances.

It seems like a sophisticated programmer could take care of the problem.

Last edited by Prot; 07-14-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

The thought that flashed into my mind was that this is a bridge that should have been crossed BEFORE spending all that money. I'd get ahold of the manufacturer, American Suspension, and make it their problem, since they're selling the part and profiting from it.

Like Prot, I think there may be an answer, but this is a mod that I've never run across, might be slim pickins out here on the forum...but ya never know. Might also be time to seek the services of a skilled fabricator...good luck, keep us posted!

Last edited by Veekness; 07-14-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:38 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

I believe the ABS system can be enabled/disabled, but not just the front...

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-15-2018, 11:32 AM
TyPo23x
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So apparently nobody knows how to address this (dealer, American Suspension, etc. AS said they just leave it unplugged which throws a light. This abs unit can’t possibly be machined down to 3/8” from an 1 3/4” because there wouldn’t be anything left. I thought of putting it on the other side of rear wheel so it would have two abs sensors on it, won’t work. Thought of tapping the front sensor two wires to rear sensor two wires, also doesn’t work. So I found the solution. Cut the two wires to the front abs plug, heat shrink them and tuck them back into wire tray under the tank. Get yourself some Dakota Digital gauges, take the 4 screws off the front of the gauges and remove the glass, the impression with the two small LED lights for the abs light fill with black silicone, put the glass back on, secure the screws and wa la. Put a label under the seat saying front ABS has been disabled and keep the plug in case you want to revert back to stock. Once she’s all done I’ll try it without pulling the abs fuse to see how she functions and if it’s wacky I’ll pull it and she how she goes. Stay tuned!

Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Im probably wrong but if the front abs sensor isnt providing a signal wouldnt the rear abs stop working as well? Also doesnt the cruise control need the wheel speed provided by the abs sensor to function?

Old 07-15-2018, 12:20 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Im probably wrong but if the front abs sensor isnt providing a signal wouldnt the rear abs stop working as well? Also doesnt the cruise control need the wheel speed provided by the abs sensor to function?
You would be correct about ABS. If the malfunction light is on (just being hidden with his method), then the entire ABS system is non functional.

Not sure about the cruise control. Since non ABS equipped bikes also have cruise control, they must get their seed settings a different way.
But since there really is an error code being displayed (just can't see it), the cruise may not work. In most cases any error codes will not allow cruise to operate.

The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 12:32 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

OP, sounds fishy that American Suspension said they can't help. They are a good company and I seriously doubt that told you your screwed. Did you buy the wrong parts maybe or received the wrong part?

Hate to say but there is a part of the story missing here.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:35 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,492 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Just curious..Why would you do such a radical rebuild on a 2 year-old bike? I would imagine the Moco got it right the first time. Your taking a chance that some things will just not work right afterwards.

Quick Reply: '16 Road Glide, FRONT ABS DELETE