General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drill bit for extracting easy out

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Take it to a machine shop that has an "EDM" machine. Let them "burn" it out.

The following users liked this post:
Dehammer (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 AM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

You can use a dremel with a small carbide bit/rotary file and start carefully grinding away at it. Take your time, so as to not mess the hole up anymore. Now this statement doesn't apply to 100% of broken easy outs, but most cases I have seen of them breaking is due to the hole being drilled off center and getting into the base material, or using too small of an easy out on a very corroded or rusty bolt, like an exhaust stud or bolt. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

If you broke 3 screws, and not saying it's your fault, but maybe you don't have the skills to perform the removal of the easy out. Take it to a machine shop, and save yourself some further issues. You'll be there if you screw it up yourself anyway, safe a step.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Take it to a machine shop that has an "EDM" machine. Let them "burn" it out.

^^^^^^^^^^
Winner !!!!

Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
As a machinist, I have to suggest taking that to a machine shop to have any real chance of saving it. There are many factors involved that have me make that recommendation.
Great advice! I can speak from my own experience as a biker who likes to save $$ and my experience in a previous life as a machinist. Any tool that is supposed to remove a broken bolt or stud is extremely hard and can not be drilled out with a regular drill bit. Break it off in a hole you have drilled using any hand drill is more trouble than you want. The most important thing and probably the only real chance of getting it out is drilling a hole exactly in the center of the hole with the broken bolt or stud. A milling machine so you have a ridged set up the the ability to get it centered properly and a carbide end mill is the way to go. Yes it will cost you some $ to get it done correctly but most of the time it is still a lot cheaper than a new head, primary or whatever you have the problem with. It sucks to shell out the $$ for a professional but still a lot cheaper most of the time than a new one. Also gives you some time to decompress with a cold beer and check out other things on your sled. Like I said the professionals at the machine shop will have a solution most of the time and save you some $$. Most of us can't ride right now anyway.

username already exists (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
As a machinist, I have to suggest taking that to a machine shop to have any real chance of saving it. There are many factors involved that have me make that recommendation.
Best advice is right here ! You said you broke it off in the case, i hope you mean the inner primary case and not the engine case ? If it's the primary case simply pull the inner and take to a machine shop. Little more involved if it's the engine case.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Huh?

You're bolting the outer primary cover back on, and broke off three of the mounting screws?

One? Chit happens.

Two? The universe is sending you a message.

Three? You're not listening.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you're saying here, and if I have, my bad.

But honestly, if you broke off three of those, you're doing something majorly wrong.

Where's this sit now? I'm reading that the outer primary us off, and you've got three broken off screws in the inner primary. Is that right?

Time to call a machinist. And buy a torque wrench.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Just my two cents, from a past machinist point of view this. Removal of the inner primary housing at this stage is a given. As recommended if a shop equipped and able to remove broken items could be your cheapest option. Get a quote from them first. It’ll likely be by the hour type of job. Compare that to just picking up a replacement inner housing.

username already exists (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:10 AM
tc66nova
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogswell
Yes, this option unless there is enough of the broken bolt available to weld a nut to. If you can have someone weld a nut to the remains it will typically spin right out do to the heat of welding expanding the bolt. As it cools it retracts away from the threads thus freeing it up.
This works! Even if the bolt is broken a thread or two down in the hole. I have an addiction to OLD tractors and I use this method all of the time. If that does not work the machine shop is your only answer. I have been a machinist for 40 years and can guarantee that you will break any drill hard enough to drill an easy out if you try using a hand held drill.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Meoff
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I found using a dental bur will drill into a broken tap or easy out. Had a local dentist that would save his old ones and give them to me! Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Drill bit for extracting easy out