Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drill bit for extracting easy out

Old 02-12-2019, 12:26 AM
RK4ME
Ultimate HDF Member
Recieved 466 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
Yes, this option unless there is enough of the broken bolt available to weld a nut to. If you can have someone weld a nut to the remains it will typically spin right out do to the heat of welding expanding the bolt. As it cools it retracts away from the threads thus freeing it up.
That someone should be a skilled welder with the proper electrodes and know-how. There are electrodes made specifically for that purpose, and it takes a steady hand on 1/4" bolts. Been there, done that.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:14 AM
RHPAW
Extreme HDF Member
Recieved 2,314 Likes on 1,355 Posts

My neighbor once put his derby cover back on so tight that he warped it. What happened was, he tightened the first bolt all the way down instead of doing them all evenly. In his favor, they weren't using those stupid torx heads yet, so I was able to remove the allen heads without breaking any of them.
Had another derby cover laying around, so I put that one on. No saving his old one.
Good luck, and take it easy next time.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM
nibroc
Road Master
Recieved 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
110 ft pounds, are you fking kidding me? You need to put down the tools and take it to a pro, sorry to say...

YEAH---I fully agree w/that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Paintslinger16
Senior Rider
Recieved 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I am with 0maha you are already in a little over your head. I wouldn’t continue at this point, I would take it in and get it done or you will keep digging a hole and have the quintessential basket case in the works,
I also don’t want to be dick, but want to give some honest advise.
not knowing you can’t get to the derby cover from the back and not already having E-Z outs is a big tell.
In ny tool box I have a couple different types and pray I never use them....on my stuff anyway....

Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 PM
Tileman2692
Club Member
Recieved 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce View Post
110ft/lbs? Are you sure it didnít say inch pounds?
oops!

Old 02-12-2019, 03:15 PM
Tileman2692
Club Member

Hey paintslinger and ragtop hold on know! Have you ever made a mistake...are you the great pro's. I made a mistake didn't see Inch lbs. looked at it to quickly. i've done quite a bit of work on motorcycles mostly all top end work no bottom and work no transmission work I work on cars I'm pretty good with tools are usually never use a torque wrench I've use tools so much I really don't need to and for some strange reason I decided to use a torque wrench on this and didn't recognize foot pounds over inch pounds, so please get off my case I really don't need to see a professional I will get them out on my own and you guys really need to lighten up. I also have a sportster a XL 1200 2002, that I've change ignition ( Dynatek ), did the stage one rebuilt the carburetor, up graded plug wires, voltage regular , I have cams that I will install come summer months, change all fluids,Took the liner out of the gas tank, and on my Dyna I replaced front and rear shocks, hard wired my phone, PV1, and GPS. Not talking about maintaining my boats 150 Merc, replaced 2 car engines.......get the picture, so you guys telling me I need to take it to a pro is uncalled for I take that as an insult. I bought all new drill bits and Dremel bits ( all colbalt and titanium). Just thought I'd get some good quality opinions ..... and I did. Except for a few negatives.

Last edited by Tileman2692; 02-12-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Recieved 328 Likes on 226 Posts

Good luck, really..

Old 02-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Tileman2692
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
Good luck, really..
YOU, have a nice day

The following users liked this post:
Ragtop (02-15-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Paintslinger16
Senior Rider
Recieved 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I will gladly retract, definitely can’t judge experience from a post in a forum, I could read your frustration though!

Old 02-12-2019, 03:53 PM
QNman
Supporter
Recieved 975 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Tileman2692 View Post
...I'm pretty good with tools are usually never use a torque wrench I've use tools so much I really don't need to and for some strange reason I decided to use a torque wrench on this and didn't recognize foot pounds over inch pounds.
My father is a retired mechanic after 40 years working on cars for a living, and still works on them for friends, family, and hobby. And he uses a torque wrench. But hey - maybe your shade-tree experience trumps a career mechanic...

I hope you get your bolt out. Best of luck in the future!

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: